XP - Windows/Programs closing.

anothefoo

n00b
Basically, I just freshly reinstalled my XP Pro, cleaning up my comptuer. Then I realize some programs refuses to run, or runs, pops up for a second and self closes. Like I tried to run Norton - no reponse. Tried to run regedit.exe, it pops up for a second then self closes as if I pressed Alt-F4.

Anyone knows what's wrong? Thanks!

I'd have to guess VIRUS.. I know you said its a clean install but you may have gotten it just from being connected to the internet.

Yep it's the virus. Which leads me to my following Q's

Right now my HD is partitioned into 2 drives and each has an OS on it. Right now I deleted everything on C:\ manually and running the OS on D:\. I want to format C:\ but it's not allowing me to do that. It's saying System Partiton can not be formatted. (I used CMD.exe and typed in format c:/qs:fat32)

Thus right now I'm just taking care of the virus using McAfee and Stinger, but meanwhile, anyone know how I can format C: w/o a floppy drive? (Cause mine is broken)

It won't let you format C: since the boot loader lives there. But if you deleted everything, you pretty much did a format.

You can try to boot off the XP install CD, and select format during install, or you can try this:

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Back