XP & VISTA 64 Dualboot no worky. Any help?

Buztafen

Limp Gawd
Morning all.

Ive got 2 160gb HD's in my comp. One is for storage, the other is currently split into 2 80gb partitions.

I installed XP Home on the first partition without a hitch and it has been working perfectly for weeks.

Now heres the problem, i installed Vista64 on the second partition and now i cannot boot into XP any more?

As soon as i installed Vista i installed EASYBCD and was expecting to see 2 entries, one for Vista and one for XP. There was only Vistas there so i created an entry myself for XP.....it didnt work.

Someone suggested i 'fixboot' the XP partition which i tried but nothing changed. When i first turn the comp on it has 2 entries, Vista and the XP one i created in EBCD if i select XP it just resets?

Any ideas would be welcome.

Cheers in advance.:rolleyes:

Hey, i have run into similar problems in the past, try booting off your XP home CD, go into the recovery console and type fixmbr. this should get you back into xp fine BUT it will stop you from being able to boot vista, after you get xp working load up your vista CD and go into the troubleshooting menu thing they have and select the option "diagnose and repair start up issues" or something along those lines forget the exact wording.

*update*
(please be aware that this method comes at the risk that the vista partition may become unusable meaning you would need to reinstall vista)

i hope that it works out

Did you check to see if it was working before installing EASYBCD? Chances are, if you did it right, XP first, then Vista second, you already had a working boot menu. I despise multi-boot setups, as I prefer the VM route, but it sounds like you may have had it working before installing any third party bootloader.

XP was working fine. I installed Vista on a second partition and now Vista works but Xp doesnt.

There was no XP entry in the Vista bootloader so i manually added one using EasyBCD.

In Vista, Vistas loaded on drive C: and the XP files are on E:.

D: is taken up by my second HD which is used for storage.

In EasyBCD the first entry is Vista and its pointing to C:, second entry is the manually created XP entry and is pointed to E:.

If I was in your situation, I would keep XP and Vista completely independent with a third-party bootmanager, instead of mixing them up together with the MS method of multi-booting -- it's so messy.

Furthermore, since you have two drives, I would put XP on one and Vista on the other, so both OSes would have the fastest disk performance possible. I would also make a page file partition for each OS on the other drive, with the remaining disk space as storage.

This way, if one OS or drive has problems or fails, you still have the other for troubleshooting and repair.

Also, if you decide to get rid of XP, you can do so easily without affecting your Vista installation.

Back