XP versus Vista resource management

Slade

2[H]4U
This is just an interesting observation while doing a lot of encoding over the past week.

I think I've found something peculiar when I'm encoding videos for my iPod touch in XP and Vista. I'm using cucusoft ipod video converter which is the exact same version which works in XP and Vista. Even the codec pack I have installed is identical.

What I've found is I can run 4 encoding programs simultaneously albeit slower than XP and make perfect encodings. works on my iPod touch, subtitles complete.

If I try the same thing in XP, I will have missing subs AND some videos won't work on the iPod. I've actually found that trying to push 2 encoders at the same time is tricky, some subtitles will go missing or a file out of the mix will not work.

While I can't run itunes in Vista 64, in XP, if I dare try to run itunes and sync the ipod, there is a 90% chance that the video or videos being encoded at that time will have missing subs OR will just not work on the ipod.

Speed wise, I've found that in XP I can run 2 simultaneous instances and get framerates of 270 for each instance.

In vista, it's dismal. Peak is 180-190, avg 170 most of the time. If I run 4 instances, I can get 80-90 for 2 instances and still hold 150-160 for the other 2. The benefit in vista is that all subtitles work. I'm running softsubs for most anime I watch so I found it surprising that XP's management of it was pathetic, if the CPU gets tasked to do other stuff, the subtitle decoder gets low priority and the video will be encoded without them.

Back