XP User Profile on Flash Drive

Hi, does anyone know of a way (or if it's possible) to set up a scenario where a user could keep their user profile on a flash drive and be able to use it to load that same profile regardless of which computer they were using?

Along the same lines as roaming profiles, but with a USB drive facilitating the roaming instead of the network.

All computers are on the same domain.

I did some googling and didn't come up with much. TIA.

it would be the same as the roaming profiles.

snoop in the registry. there is a key that defines where the profiles are located. change it to the drive of the flash drive.

the trick is, every flash drive must have the same drive letter...or the user that logs in will get a default profile located in the "documents and settings" folder....assuming XP.

I think you're going to find that it's going to be INCREDIBLY slow logging in and logging out, assuming windows lets you point the profile to a removable drive. Interesting idea, though.

I also see some points of failure, like:
1. Different drive letters on different systems
2. Logging in/out of machines that haven't been configured to store the profile on flash
3. Flash Drive removal before log off is complete
4. Flash drive not available while the user is logging in

Profiles are lots of little files, depending on what you're writing back out. That is going to kill your performance when reading/writing to flash drives.

Back