XP system files remaining after Windows 7 upgrade?

whisper

Limp Gawd
I upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 Home Premium a couple days ago. Everything seems to be running fine, but when I boot up it goes into Windows Boot Manager and I am given two options:

1) Windows 7, or
2) Earlier version of Windows

I did not reformat the hdd first and instead upgraded by running the installation CD from within Windows XP. It saved all my old Windows files in a folder named "Windows.old", which I have since deleted. Does anyone know what other files might be remaining from my old XP installation, and where I can find them? What can I do to stop the boot manager from appearing so I can just boot right into Windows 7?

I upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 Home Premium a couple days ago. Everything seems to be running fine, but when I boot up it goes into Windows Boot Manager and I am given two options:

1) Windows 7, or
2) Earlier version of Windows

I did not reformat the hdd first and instead upgraded by running the installation CD from within Windows XP. It saved all my old Windows files in a folder named "Windows.old", which I have since deleted. Does anyone know what other files might be remaining from my old XP installation, and where I can find them? What can I do to stop the boot manager from appearing so I can just boot right into Windows 7?

Hi, whisper,

Follow the steps outlined in the 'How to Delete a Listed Operating System at Boot in Windows 7' entry from Win7 ABCs - Great list of Windows 7 tutorials by MVP Shawn Brink!.

Hope this helps.

Chuklr

Thanks, that's a great collection of tutorials and tips. I followed it but found that Windows 7 is the only OS listed. This being the case, I'm not sure why my boot manager is still giving me the option to load an earlier version of windows. Something must still be lingering somewhere but I'm not sure where.

I suspect I may be to blame for this, because I don't think I deleted my Windows.old folder properly. I just went right to the folder, right clicked and selected delete. It took about 30 minutes to complete and there are still a few random files from Adobe that won't go away (it says I need administrator privileges, even though I'm running as the administrator). I should have deleted this folder using the disc cleanup utility, as I later found out.

Any more ideas as to how I can skip the boot manager at startup? Can I just disable it somehow?

Thanks, that's a great collection of tutorials and tips. I followed it but found that Windows 7 is the only OS listed. This being the case, I'm not sure why my boot manager is still giving me the option to load an earlier version of windows. Something must still be lingering somewhere but I'm not sure where.

I suspect I may be to blame for this, because I don't think I deleted my Windows.old folder properly. I just went right to the folder, right clicked and selected delete. It took about 30 minutes to complete and there are still a few random files from Adobe that won't go away (it says I need administrator privileges, even though I'm running as the administrator). I should have deleted this folder using the disc cleanup utility, as I later found out.

Any more ideas as to how I can skip the boot manager at startup? Can I just disable it somehow?

Hi, whisper,

Have you clicked on the "Start" button and typed "msconfig" in the "Search Programs and Files" box pressed "enter" and clicked on "msconfig" -> BOOT -> "the non-win7" entry -> DELETE?

If that doesn't work, see this MS Knowledge Base article on how to repair the MBR.

Hope this helps.

Chuklr

Hi, whisper,

Have you clicked on the "Start" button and typed "msconfig" in the "Search Programs and Files" box pressed "enter" and clicked on "msconfig" -> BOOT -> "the non-win7" entry -> DELETE?

If that doesn't work, see this MS Knowledge Base article on how to repair the MBR.

Hope this helps.

Chuklr

I did try that method but the only entry listed was the Win7 entry - there was nothing else to delete. After searching around a little more, I was able to fix the problem using a utility called EasyBCD. This program correctly identified both OS entries in the boot manager and gave me the option to delete the non-win7 one. Not sure why it could do what msconfig could not, but it seems to be the better utility - after this experience I would definitely recommend including it in your must-have toolkit;)

I did try that method but the only entry listed was the Win7 entry - there was nothing else to delete. After searching around a little more, I was able to fix the problem using a utility called EasyBCD. This program correctly identified both OS entries in the boot manager and gave me the option to delete the non-win7 one. Not sure why it could do what msconfig could not, but it seems to be the better utility - after this experience I would definitely recommend including it in your must-have toolkit;)

Hi, whisper,

Glad you got it fixed.

Chuklr

Back