XP/SVC Pack2 Problem...

FerrisBuller

Weaksauce
I'm new to the site so I'm hoping someone can help me with a service pack 2 question... I have a Gateway E Series, Pentium 4, running Windows XP. Service Pack 2 was installed over Service Pack 1a. I am able to log in with no problem. After I log in, the desktop background appears and the system just hangs there... I've rebooted and tried for two days with no luck. I did press F8 and start in safe mode, however, i get a black backgroung with a border of white letters: "Windows XP Service Pack 2" I have also tried, in safe mode, "Last Known Good Configuration". I then cold boot the system, and again, the desktop background appears with no icons on the desktop. The mouse pointer is visible, but that's all.

Aside from reloading the system, is there something I have not tried that maybe someone with more experience might be able to pass along? I'm sort of a newbie and would really appreciate any and all assistance.

Thanks,

Ferris.

I would try to get an XP SP2 CD that's based off the version of XP your using, most likely Home. Boot from it, and follow the instructions to run a repair. This is another reason why every single machine should have the recovery console installed locally.

Back