XP Support Ending.. updates ?

netsider

Limp Gawd
As most of you probably know, Microsoft is ending support for XP and updates will no longer be available via windows update (I'm assuming the last part). Is there anyway I can download all current service packs and updates now, so when support ends, I'll have them?

Thanks. I was wondering this even before support was ending... just so I can have them all locally or on disc and not need to download them every time.

Thanks ;)

I believe the updates will be available for a while, there just won't be new updates.

Any particular reason why you're staying on XP?

You can manually download the updates from Microsoft.com/downloads, although it would be pretty painful. I don't believe Microsoft will be pulling the updates from Windows update -- like Tsumi said, there just won't be any new ones.

There are third party companies that are going to release updates for Windows XP. They just won't be free. If it's that important that you stay on XP, and you want your updates, you might want to look into one of these service providers.

I believe the updates will be available for a while, there just won't be new updates.

Any particular reason why you're staying on XP?

Only reason is bizarro old proprietary hardware with no modern driver support...which there is lots of, although most of it is industrial applications, not personal use scenarios.

I know even in 2008 you could still patch Windows 98 (last time I tried), so yeah, I don't expect XP updates to be pulled for a very long time.

Once Microsoft signs off on XP, I would expect the community to put together a "final" version that includes all post-SP3 updates. I've thought about it myself.

Only reason is bizarro old proprietary hardware with no modern driver support...which there is lots of, although most of it is industrial applications, not personal use scenarios.

I know about those general reasons, just wondering what the OP's reason is.

I suppose the updates will still be live via Windows Update for a while but don't expect it to stay there for a long time. You can no longer even use Windows Update if your using Windows 98, the page won't even load anymore.

Even when support ends for XP, I doubt organizations using XP to migrate to a new OS immediately.

Glad I got my office migrated already. We just are tracking down the stragglers now.

Quit crapping up the thread ,take it to PM if you want to argue

My barcode software only support windows xp & below :(

You should try the 32-bit version of windows 7, I've had ancient software work perfectly on that. It's all about the 32 bit...

Windows 8 still makes a 32-bit version too :)

You should try the 32-bit version of windows 7, I've had ancient software work perfectly on that. It's all about the 32 bit...

Windows 8 still makes a 32-bit version too :)

If you're willing to put some effort in, you can generally get the vast majority of 32-bit, XP and older applications to work even on 64-bit Windows 7/8. However, it does often require more than installing the software and clicking go.

Usually the reason old software doesn't work well on Windows 7 and newer is that it expects to be able to use Program Files as a working directory or there is a hard path to something instead of using environment variables. If you're willing to play with these things, there are workarounds, and I have had a lot of success getting applications which supposedly do not work in Windows 7 to work.

For 16-bit applications, or applications which just plain won't work in Windows 7 (due to very bad development practices on the part of the application developer), there is always Windows XP mode, as well. It integrates well, by drawing only the application Window and making it appear as though it is running natively, even though it is in fact virtual.

For 16-bit applications, or applications which just plain won't work in Windows 7 (due to very bad development practices on the part of the application developer), there is always Windows XP mode

This always cracks me up. Everyone is all up on their soap box preaching about how you need to get rid of XP because it's so insecure, and that if you want to keep using apps that ONLY work in XP, you should use XP mode....

It's XP. It's a virtual machine running the software that you're telling him he should get rid of. On top of that, many businesses have XP connected to a specific piece of hardware, like a CnC router. It really might only work on XP, and there is a good chance it won't work in XP mode.

I know we all want to move on and get rid of it, but the reality is, it isn't possible. That's why the life span has been extended so many times and third parties are stepping up to take over development. It's going to be around for a long, long time....

Just because... no specific reason. I like to be prepared... someone I know might have an XP computer and need it fixed and not want to upgrade... who knows? It's always things like that, that I forget, and aren't prepared for. Basically, just in case I need XP updates for some reason, even though I don't currently have one. Thanks to everyone who replied though. I think the person who said there will be a "final" version or update is right... I didn't think about that until I read it. I'll probably get them just in case.

It's XP. It's a virtual machine running the software that you're telling him he should get rid of.

But the concept which so clearly few over your head is isolation. Did you even think about this at all? There is an astronomical difference between running xp in a controlled, virtualized environment solely for a single app and running all of the apps you ever use in a native environment.

You can safely run your application in xp mode without risk of your banking credentials being picked up by a virus caused by using an old os. Running xp as your main is just to use an old app would put every other thing you use the machine for at risk.

You can safely run your application in xp mode without risk of your banking credentials being picked up by a virus caused by using an old os. Running xp as your main is just to use an old app would put every other thing you use the machine for at risk.

That's never really occurred to me either, but yea... that makes sense. Some people might prefer XP on a native machine, just because they don't like the feel of an XP VM... especially since they'd prolly be using XP for it's look/feel that they're used to. Good point though...

Thanks again everyone! :)

Thanks.. I will definitely try that, among the other things people said. Like I said also.. I'm sure MS will release a final update for it.. or service pack.

No, they won't. Last year, Microsoft decided that the last Service Pack they will ever do was Win7 SP1 (see: Windows 8.1). They seem content to just have every install download a few hundred updates from their servers. They won't even do SP2 for Win7, so they certainly will not do SP4 for WinXP. What would be their motive? They want everyone to quit earlier versions of Windows and buy Windows 8.

The only reason I can see for people clinging to the ancient XP Operating System is legacy hardware/Software but for the average user just upgrade already :) I am sick and tired of dealing with XP (Not only finding the proper device driver but downloading and installing all of the updates)

My other question is Why is it that Windows 7 takes for ever to download those updates? I have an ultrabook that came with Windows 8 and when I first turned it on (After the usual setting up my user account) I was greeted with 35 Updates all of which downloaded very quickly (Unlike my Windows 7 PC which can take about 20-30 Minutes to download 100MB of updates)

The only reason I can see for people clinging to the ancient XP Operating System is legacy hardware/Software but for the average user just upgrade already :) I am sick and tired of dealing with XP (Not only finding the proper device driver but downloading and installing all of the updates)

My other question is Why is it that Windows 7 takes for ever to download those updates? I have an ultrabook that came with Windows 8 and when I first turned it on (After the usual setting up my user account) I was greeted with 35 Updates all of which downloaded very quickly (Unlike my Windows 7 PC which can take about 20-30 Minutes to download 100MB of updates)

Only guess is a crappy generic NIC driver. Hell on install, Win7 doesn't even detect my Intel NIC on my sig motherboard it needs the driver off the motherboard disc. Also even on my SSD, the actual install of the first 200 or so updates on top of SP1 took forever.

My barcode software only support windows xp & below :(

Friend of mine is in a similar situation - she has a CNC router and the software (she has) runs in 98 only. Sure, there are updates to the software, newer versions etc. but she doesn't want to pay for them. So she has this old box (with a single core somethingorother) that does nothing but run the software (which also includes a PCI expansion card that the software requires to run).

Friend of mine is in a similar situation - she has a CNC router and the software (she has) runs in 98 only. Sure, there are updates to the software, newer versions etc. but she doesn't want to pay for them. So she has this old box (with a single core somethingorother) that does nothing but run the software (which also includes a PCI expansion card that the software requires to run).

It's usually a non-issue for those types of systems though, since they don't need (and shouldn't be) connected to the internet.

I use XP for the CRT adjustment software (Sony WinDAS) and test pattern generation. It also doubles as a LAN box, and of course - isn't connected to the internet. :)

No, they won't. Last year, Microsoft decided that the last Service Pack they will ever do was Win7 SP1 (see: Windows 8.1). They seem content to just have every install download a few hundred updates from their servers. They won't even do SP2 for Win7, so they certainly will not do SP4 for WinXP. What would be their motive? They want everyone to quit earlier versions of Windows and buy Windows 8.

I thought they are just ending support for XP, no? Maybe they'll make an exception since NO updates will be available for XP to download anymore. I know what you're saying, but Win7 is a different case because of that, and may not get SP2... but at least the updates will still be available though WU.... No?

Oh, Win7 (and Vista) is still getting support and updates. It's just not getting any more Service Packs, which rolled all of those individual updates into a convenient single pack. Not doing any Service Packs has made the WinSXS folder in Win7 get messy and large so they updated Disk Cleanup last week to clean several GB of that update data out.

Back