XP: Stop 7F on every other boot...

MChief

Limp Gawd
Alright so I'm a little stumped on this one.

Samsung NC10 netbook. Quad boot with Ubuntu, the fruity OS, and two XP partitions. Actually I also have a gentoo recovery image, so I have 5 bootable OS's.

The XP partitions don't have each other mounted, and one is used strictly as a recovery boot, just in case. In fact, the recovery partition type is 0x17, so the normal XP partition couldn't mount it if it wanted to.

The XP partitions, both of them, will consistently BSOD with Stop 7F error on every *other* reboot. Or maybe more accurately, after each successful windows shutdown. So it goes like this:

1) Boot: Works fine
2) Shutdown(clean or pull power)
3) Boot: Stop 7F
4) Cold boot or warm reboot
5) Boot: Works fine.

OS X and my two linux distributions have no problems booting, ever. Did I say OS X? I meant Fruit OS. So even if I'm on a boot cycle where windows would 7f, any of the other OS's will boot without problem.

I've run memtest86+ through a couple of full passes, no problem.
I've run mprime and cpuburn for 24+ hours on two threads, no problem.
I've used Fruit, Ubuntu and XP when it boots for days on this machine utilizing all hardware and doing memory and cpu intensive tasks like compiling, hardware 3d rendering, etc, no problem.
Pretty sure the hardware is OK.

After rebooting with the Stop 7F error, the next boot sequence on either XP partition is fine.

So in other words, if I'm running XP and do a shutdown or pull the battery, the next boot gives a stop 7f. Even if I boot into one of my other OS's, run ntfsfix, sacrifice a goat, etc.

Of course I've checked for nauthyware, gremlins and narwhals. There's nothing out of sorts on here at all. And even if it were, there is no malware on the market that is capable of enumerating my partitions, scanning for an NTFS MFT, dropping some bad files on the filesystem, then loading the registry db files to make the intended changes to infect my recovery XP partition.

I updated the BIOS just for fun, to no effect.

Any ideas? My next step is to install the debugging symbols and do a full core dump and see what windows thinks is going on...

Back