XP SP2 - Hiding Desktop Icons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilkhan

[H]F Junkie
I seem to remember at some point (before one of my formats) I had an option on the right-click desktop menu under arrange icons to *hide* all the icons. Not remove them or anything, just hide them to the desktop was nice and clean. But I dont remember how I got said option.

Anybody know how?

Right Click desktop > Arrange Icons by> uncheck Show Desktop Icons

nextoption.JPG

ok, now we've established what I was asking about...

His post is right, mine has that option. Now as to WHY you don't have that option is beyond me. XP Home SP2 here too. :confused:

Maybe not sufficent privis? Or some other option has to be turned on too?

Im sure its an option somewhere, and I knew exactly what you were talking about, I had it before a format. I wasn't asking where it was, I was asking how to get it back. Damn people. The post wasn't that hard to decypher. its XP pro, but it was pro when I had it before too.

GLSauron said:
Im sure its an option somewhere, and I knew exactly what you were talking about, I had it before a format. I wasn't asking where it was, I was asking how to get it back. Damn people. The post wasn't that hard to decypher. its XP pro, but it was pro when I had it before too.

You need to turn Active Desktop support back on.

See item 264 on the following link for a reg file to do the same thing. Googled on "show desktop icons Windows XP". Took all of 2 minutes to find.

You can also fix it with the TweakUI powertoy from MS.

At least Google something before getting snippy with people who are giving correct instructions. Chill out.

GLSauron said:
I wasn't asking where it was, I was asking how to get it back. Damn people. The post wasn't that hard to decypher. its XP pro, but it was pro when I had it before too.

It wasn't the best phrased question I've ever seen. If you come in here for help and aren't clear on exactly what you need help with, don't be surprised if you don't get the exact answer. Don't be a prick about it either.

"I had an option when I right clicked on the desktop to *hide* all the icons on the desktop. That option is gone. How do I get it back?"

Is a lot more clear than "I don't remember how I got said option."

well excuse me. I thought it was fairly clear. Apparently I was wrong.

Thanks to nessus for answering the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back