XP SP2 BSOD - c000021a fatal system error

mpeg4v3

Gawd
I've had SP2 installed and working fine since the day the network downloadable version went public. No problems at all. I ran Windows Update yesterday, and the only thing on their was the .NET Framework SP1.1 I *think*. So I downloaded it, and restarted when I was asked to. Got to the welcome screen... then BSOD. So I try Safe Mode with Networking. Same thing. However, I booted up fine into regular Safe Mode. Wondering if the problem fixed itself, I rebooted again, and, nope, still the BSOD. So I try Safe Mode again... and now it's giving me the same BSOD too. Well, there goes my one freaking chance to fix it.

The BSOD says the following:
STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

I can't find anything useful on google, and I was hoping if anyone on here knew any way at all to fix this that does not involve reinstalling Windows.

Remove the .NET Framework SP1.1 patch and see if it helps...otherwise you're out of luck i guess :(

OldMX

They should be unrelated. That error is due to winlogon.exe a/ving, and winlogon isn't managed.

I'm going to try a repair off of a slipstreamed XP SP2 disc I just made (took a damned hour and a half to figure out how to burn bootable CDs under OSX...)... so hopefully that will work. Gah, if I have to reinstall I'm going to kill someone.

Before you clean install let me know, and I will try to help you.

Did you do any tweaking? Services, Custom Themes, Hacked Kernels etc?

I clean installed already but I've got my old Doc & Settings folder and Windows folder sitting in a backup directory just incase.

Repair didn't work. Infact, it made it worse. Now, after getting past all the BIOS screens, it would show the Windows loading screen (with the scrolling blue bar) for about a second before restarting, for safe mode as well.

Trust me, I'm virus free. I make sure of that.

I didn't run any custom themes, services, etc.

I tried Last Known, still crashed. There was no way at all I could get into Windows.

I guess I'll just have to rebuild my install. Good thing the old Doc & Settings folder semi-worked after overwriting the just-installed one...

Back