XP SP2 borked my computer

Arkanian

[H]ard|Gawd
I just installed SP2 and after the computer had restarted, I would get the blue screen of death saying memory error at location 0x00007. I restarted several times and every time I would get that message. The message would pop up before the desktop would load. Anyways, I had to restart into safe mode and uninstall SP2. What a bummer. I suspect this has to do with the fact that I have a Athlon 64. I suspect that it is the DEP's fault but I couldn't find any mention of DEP in my BIOS. Maybe if I updated my BIOS, the DEP function would be there and then I could turn it off. Well SP2 installed fine on my Dell 9100 but of cource it is a P4 2.8.

A64 + SP2 = :mad:

did you do a fresh install, then install SP2?
or just install over whatever you currently had?

GeForceX said:
Don't they have DEP in System/Advanced?

-J.

Oh I was under the impression that DEP was in the BIOS because it is a chip feature, I upgraded to SP2 from SP1.

From a search. ;)

Go to properties of My Computer and select the advanced tab. Select Start up and Recovery and edit start up options. Turn off dep there (noExecute):

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) \WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=AlwaysOff

-J.

Arkanian said:
I just installed SP2 and after the computer had restarted, I would get the blue screen of death saying memory error at location 0x00007. I restarted several times and every time I would get that message. The message would pop up before the desktop would load. Anyways, I had to restart into safe mode and uninstall SP2. What a bummer. I suspect this has to do with the fact that I have a Athlon 64. I suspect that it is the DEP's fault but I couldn't find any mention of DEP in my BIOS. Maybe if I updated my BIOS, the DEP function would be there and then I could turn it off. Well SP2 installed fine on my Dell 9100 but of cource it is a P4 2.8.

A64 + SP2 = :mad:
to be able to help you we need:

1) list of installed software
2) system specs other that just your processor
3) highjack this logfile would be helpful too.

i doubt this has anything to do with DEP and your a64, issues around that have long being solved by software vendors. Of course, maybe you have a piece of software that needs updating.

K

DEP is the cause.

First thing you do is when booting up - use f 8 to get into the options window

You will see Turn off automatic restart in case of bsod (or something very close) near the bottom

Click it and that will stop you from going into a reboot loop

To turn off DEP is very simple. Right click my computer in XP. Go to advanced tab. At the bottom for startup and recovery - click settings. You will see a edit button in the "to edit the files manually - click edit". Click edit.

In the boot file you need to change

/NoExecute=OptIn

to

/noexecute=alwaysoff

Save the file. That will fix the problem. IMO DEP was not ready and should not have been included. I don't use it either. You lose no functionality. SP1 did not have DEP either.

PadanFain said:
K

DEP is the cause.

First thing you do is when booting up - use f 8 to get into the options window

You will see Turn off automatic restart in case of bsod (or something very close) near the bottom

Click it and that will stop you from going into a reboot loop

To turn off DEP is very simple. Right click my computer in XP. Go to advanced tab. At the bottom for startup and recovery - click settings. You will see a edit button in the "to edit the files manually - click edit". Click edit.

In the boot file you need to change

/NoExecute=OptIn

to

/noexecute=alwaysoff

Save the file. That will fix the problem. IMO DEP was not ready and should not have been included. I don't use it either. You lose no functionality. SP1 did not have DEP either.

Thanks yeah either a driver, dll, program or something was trying to access a low memory location where the OS resides. This is a programmers fault and not SP2. Some one somewhere programmed something that is on my computer to access the low memory locations. I turned off the Automatic restart along time ago because one time I had a bad stick of ram that would cause my computer to reboot so I had to turn that feature off. I

Back