XP Slow Log Off Problem (AV Software?)

Xathagorra

Weaksauce
I just recently started experiencing a long delay in shutting down my system, which is usually extremely fast. It only began after I installed Eset's new Security Suite.

I had also just reinstalled Windowblinds a few days before (which I've used on-and-off for years) but that wasn't causing it, though I uninstalled it and cleaned out my system just to be sure. Still having the "problem".

Is it Eset/NOD32 Security Suite causing the slow down? I know some AV progs can slow down boot time by scanning as you boot, can they do the same when logging off?

There's absolutely nothing else different/wrong with my system (I build systems, so I'm pretty familiar with the guts of Windows, and other potential problems such as spyware, viruses etc.), so all I can figure is that's it's Eset.

NOD32 didn't do it by itself, but maybe this full Security Suite is doing something?

It's getting a little annoying, mainly because I'm unsure as to why (though common sense dictates it's Eset), and I don't like my system doing anything I know it wasn't/shouldn't.

If anyone can confirm it's Eset/pass along any info, I'd appreciate it, thanks.

I'm using the new eset security suite and it isn't slowing anything down at all for me.

Check out User Profile Hive Cleaner, a microsoft app that cleans the user's registry (can significantly decrease login/logout time).

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

I posted this above, and it does not clean the registery. The only registery modification it does is to install itself as a service. It unloads registery hives, therefore cleaning them from memory. It is a totally different concept from modifying or "cleaning" entries directly from the registery.

As I stated, check the application log for the application that is hanging you up after your next logoff and/or shutdown.

This service is not a permanent solution and can cause data loss as forcefully ending a process does not allow it to write it's information to disk.

I posted this above, and it does not clean the registery. The only registery modification it does is to install itself as a service. It unloads registery hives, therefore cleaning them from memory. It is a totally different concept from modifying or "cleaning" entries directly from the registery.

As I stated, check the application log for the application that is hanging you up after your next logoff and/or shutdown.

This service is not a permanent solution and can cause data loss as forcefully ending a process does not allow it to write it's information to disk.

Thanks for the link and the info, but I'm unsure as whether or not to install this if it can potentially cause a problem. It also hasn't been updated since '05.

Are you suggesting to just install it once, log off, check the system log to find the culprit then just uninstall the program? Is there another way aside from installing this program to do that?

Right now, logs are showing nothing, even in the System log.

After a little research though, it's apparent that if it's a 3rd-party prog (which it most likely is, though I'm not sure what; betting on Eset right now) it might not be possible to resolve the issue, as it's in the 3rd-party programs coding which cannot be changed. In that case, there's nothing I could (or would know how if it was possible) to do, because you'd have to change what the program does.

Also should I look under the System log as well? Or just the application log?
System shows actual log on/off times directly, but maybe the App. log is just what I need to look for and the Event number when I boot back up?

In all my years, this is one problem I've never had, ironically. Little unsure as to the best resolve here.
Thanks again.

Well, if it means anything (not that I can do anything about it): http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=192990.

So, my common sense must be right-on, as this didn't start until the day or a day after I installed the new full Eset Security Suite.

As stated in my above post, since it's a 3rd party program, there'd be nothing I could do to stop this, unless I just stop using the program totally, because it's the prog's coding in what it does.

I could try uninstalling it completely real quick just to be sure, but it's seeming pretty apparent now that Eset is the culprit here. Unfortunate and annoying.

Though I don't know what the OP in that thread means by his "roaming profile" and it not updating, but the "lag" on log off seems to be apparent for two people there.

Are you suggesting to just install it once, log off, check the system log to find the culprit then just uninstall the program? Is there another way aside from installing this program to do that?

Well the idea is to use it until you can determine a permanent solution. It runs as a service, so you can just pop open services.msc, set it to manual, and then start or stop it as necessary.

This service is really designed for this purpose, which is why MS put it on their site. It's what I use professionaly if I run into an issue like this.

Ok, I understand what you're saying.

Just tried to uninstall the new Eset Security Suite, rebooted a few times, but I guess that's actually not my problem. Still having slow log off times. Damn.

This only started after the installation of Windowblinds (which I consequently uninstalled) and the new Eset. There's no reason this should have started out of nowhere, as I've done/installed nothing else recently at all.

It's not that the slow log off time is a "problem" in and of itself, but I'm worried that it's symptomatic of a problem, though I've eliminated the two things that could have been the causes. Especially Eset, since it uses around 35MB, as opposed to just NOD32 v2.07 which used around 20MB.

The only other things I've installed two days ago were two plug-ins for Firefox (security related).

DkService (diskeeper) is always running, but it's always been and never caused a problem. My system is totally clean. I don't get it... :mad: ...any other ideas?
Or installing the MS program the only way to potentially find the problem?

Thanks again for the help.

Run a defrag and a chkdisk. Disk problems can also cause slow boots and shutdowns

Run a defrag and a chkdisk. Disk problems can also cause slow boots and shutdowns

All basic stuff I take care of on a regular basis, but thanks for the suggestion. No slow down on boot (extremely fast), just shutdown, so it's something "hanging" when shutting down.

You could have corrupted your user profile --

The quickest way to rule that out would be to log on as an administrator and rename C:\Documents and Settings\Username to C:\Documents and Settings\Username.old. After that, log in as your user and it will create a new profile for you. Of course, thats assuming your Docs and Settings are on C:.

If that takes care of the problem, you know it's something in your profile and not a system configuration.

You can always put your profile back by logging in as an administrator and renaming the .old profile back to the original name.

You could have corrupted your user profile --

The quickest way to rule that out would be to log on as an administrator and rename C:\Documents and Settings\Username to C:\Documents and Settings\Username.old. After that, log in as your user and it will create a new profile for you. Of course, thats assuming your Docs and Settings are on C:.

If that takes care of the problem, you know it's something in your profile and not a system configuration.

You can always put your profile back by logging in as an administrator and renaming the .old profile back to the original name.

Interesting... how would my profile become corrupted?

When you say rename Username, you mean the folder that has other system folders in it? I'm assuming that's what you mean, since there's no file called "Username" in "Documents and Settings"...? Just a folder with my Username, Default User folder, All Users folder etc.

What about just creating/using a new profile? Would that be easier/work the same?

I'm the only on who uses my system, so I always log on as admin, password protected.

If I attempted your method, would anything cause a problem or prevent me from logging on?

Yeah, all my docs are on C:.

If it did work, any particular reasons I'd even want to restore the old profile if it was the problem? Just asking, since you mentioned the option.

Thanks for the info, and please let me know if there are any measures I'd have to take before trying this, to make sure I don't cause any problems.

I was (am) having this exact same problem on my XP drive, its what finally pushed me into installing my copy of Vista when I got my new HD.

It just started happening about a month ago or so (haven't been on XP much these days, gf still uses it for Sims though). No matter whose account I log in on (both are set to admin) it takes forever to restart. It even takes a long time to bring up the shutdown window. :confused:

I wonder if we don't have the same problem, I didn't notice it happening after I installed any software or anything though, and Vista restarts right away so its not a hardware problem that I can think of. I'll try that software listed above and see if I can't figure it out :)

I was (am) having this exact same problem on my XP drive, its what finally pushed me into installing my copy of Vista when I got my new HD.

It just started happening about a month ago or so (haven't been on XP much these days, gf still uses it for Sims though). No matter whose account I log in on (both are set to admin) it takes forever to restart. It even takes a long time to bring up the shutdown window. :confused:

I wonder if we don't have the same problem, I didn't notice it happening after I installed any software or anything though, and Vista restarts right away so its not a hardware problem that I can think of. I'll try that software listed above and see if I can't figure it out :)

Interesting. Maybe something with a recent update is causing us the same problem? Definitely not a hardware problem on my end either, and I've not been able to resolve it. Nothing else is slow (booting, shutdown window, progs etc.) but my shutdown time is insane. :confused:

If you're going to try the prog listed here, please do drop a line (or a PM even) and let me know if you've figured anything out? Would be great :)

Since you're about to install Vista, you're ready to overhaul your drive. I cant take any chances with installing anything else right now or reformatting right now, because I work from home, and currently cant mess around with this drive just yet or reformat until I have time to do a massive backup.

Hope to hear from ya if you figure anything out! :)

Have you possibly added this tweak to your xp installation: "Clear PageFile on shutdown"?

I remember when I enabled that, my log off/shut down's were incredibly slow as well.

Back