XP Setup Says: Setup cannot create the following: \windows

Try starting over, but clearing the drive first with something like GParted, and then leave the drive blank and unformatted. Boot from your XP CD and start the install process over. If you still have the same issue, run the manufacturer's diag test on the hard drive to see if it's bad.

I will try your software. I did chkdsk and it did find one or more errors. I ran chkdsk repair and it said it fixed all errors.

All of this happened when I installed two more ram modules in my computer. The new ram must have corrupted my existing xp install. So I took out the new memory and tried a fresh install.

I tested the install cd on another computer and it installs fine
I took out all memory and used a stick from another computer, still no go
I changed out the dvd drive, still no go

I have not tried another hard drive, but I will later today. I will also change out the dvd cable.

Most of the info on the net with this type of problem usually points to memory problems. I tried a good stick so now I am back to the drawing board.

Try starting over, but clearing the drive first with something like GParted, and then leave the drive blank and unformatted. Boot from your XP CD and start the install process over. If you still have the same issue, run the manufacturer's diag test on the hard drive to see if it's bad.

I used Western Digitals tools to scan and fix the drive. Bingo. That was the problem. Thanks for the idea.

Back