XP scratched disc

craigdeguz

Gawd
So i bought Vista and I dont like it at all. Im having trouble getting support for devices like my copperhead mouse and other items. So i tried to reinstall my xp home and the disc is scratched.

Is there a way i can get a new disc or get the software some how? I have my own Key but i dunno how to get the software. does microsoft send out replacement discs or make it so you can dl it?

off topic. if thats not possible, where can i get support for items like my razer mouse.

MS does have a means for you to obtain a replacement CD. A fee is involved. If the disk is an OEM one then the vendor/system manufacturer may have a scheme available for replacement media.

But I wouldn't bother. Is the CD a retail or an OEM one? Simply find somebody else with a working XP install disk that matches your license type, and copy their CD. Your install key code will work with matching media.

Then another OEM CD with the same Service Pack integration should work perfectly when used with your CD key code. Locating and copying one is the simplest way out of your dilemma.

Second best option is to use somebody else's CD and install key to bung XP on your system, and then activate the installation by telephone and change the key code to your own legitimate OEM key in the process.

Third best, IMO is to track down a replacement disk and pay the fees involved.

Latest support/drivers can usually be found on the MFG. website. of the device you are trying to find drivers for.

Try Cleaning the disk, or if you can still get into Vista, burn a copy of the XP disk at a very low speed.

Try Cleaning the disk, or if you can still get into Vista, burn a copy of the XP disk at a very low speed.

Yes that very well may work, alot of times I have had a disc that was scratched and wouldn't play but I was still able to copy it. I know thats weird but it works ;)

thanks for all the support. I found another copy of (retail) of xp home i bought for the father a long time ago. i tried to install it and when i was activating windows, it said the key was used too much. i ended up calling and got connected to india and they guy gave me some ID and now everything works.

XP driver support is very nice. i will install vista maybe once i get my upgrades.

thanks again

Give brasso (brass polish) a try. I used some this weekend to buff some scratches out of my Warcraft III cd. Toothpaste also works, but takes a lot more work.

Back