XP repair install for vista?

lAciDl

Limp Gawd
ive been searching for how to do this for a while to no avail. this feature in XP ( boot to cd, enter, f8, R ) saves me so much frustration. with more and more of our repairs coming in as vista i need to find a way to do this with vista. the only way ive read that is comparable to the XP repair is by doing an upgrade install for vista, but that defeats the major feature of the xp repair of not having to be in the OS to run it. which is mainly when you would need to use it.

Yes it does.

And... now you tell him how to get to it... oh pishaw. You people, sometimes... I swear...

Boot off the Vista disc, click OK at the first screen to continue, on the bottom of the second window that appears is a link for Repair your computer, click that for the additional options to repair the boot functionality, do a RAM test, System Restore options, etc.

Good luck...

It's not possible to do the sort of repair install you could do with XP (an in-place reinstall) because of the new installation method of dumping an image on the drive rather than extracting individual files. I doubt that's likely to change.

You asked a question and you got the answer, accurate as it is. It might not be what you wanted, but... it's still accurate.

Vista doesn't work like XP because it's not XP and as such, things are different now. It's up to you to learn the new ways of handling issues with Vista and how it can "heal itself" or you'll be doing a helluvalot more work than you may want to be doing.

Vista does most everything in terms of repair options from inside a PE - a pre-installation environment, aka an incredibly stripped down bare metal capable version of the OS for limited functionality and repair options.

thank you mithent for actually answering the question and not being a dick like joe.

but those are not the same as the XP repair install.

Technically there never was such a thing as an "XP repair install". That's just a misnomer which is a carry-over from the windows 98 era. In XP the procedure is called an "In Place Upgrade", and it is not made available for 'repair' purposes but instead for upgrade purposes. Microsoft have always made it clear that the procedure, if used for 'repair' purposes, is limited in what issues it can resolve.

In XP the genuine 'repair' option is available when you boot from Windows CD, and it is indeed a PE environment from which startup and other problems can be resolved.

With the release of Vista a couple of things have changed.

The 'Repair' options can now resolve startup problems via an automated process. You don't have to key in console commands to effect the repairs available.

The In-Place Upgrade option is only available when you launch the installation disk from within Windows. That kinda makes sense too, considering it's not intended to be a repair alternative and usually can't resolve a scenario where a Windows install is so borked that it can't even boot successfully.

Edit: lolz! "PE environment" is a tautology. Where are the grammar nazis?

:D

Back