XP reinstall issue "Setup cannot copy the file:"

reddhaus

Limp Gawd
I had problems with my system and decided to start over with a reformat and clean install of XP.

While I was at it I decided to get a second hard drive and do Raid 0.

I have setup Raid in the bios so the mobo see's the drives properly.

When I boot the XP disc, I hit F6 for the option to install the Nvidia Raid drivers from the 3.5" disk. From there all goes well. It formats the hard drives as it should.

Once Windows is done formating the drives, it starts to load files from the XP disc to the hard drives. It gets about gets to about 30% and stops. It tells me "Setup cannot cope the file: cinemst2.sys" I have also had it say it cannot copy cdaudio.sys and I think dvdplayer.exe

I have cleaned my XP disc, I have tried my brother's XP disc, I have tried the install from both of my internal Lite-On DVD drives and my external Lite-On DVD drive.

I have done internet searches on this. I have found people with the same problems but I have not found and solutions.

I have run out of ideas.

I really need to get my machine up and running again.

Can someone please give me some direction?

Update

I just unplugged one of the Raptors and tried it without the Raid.

Does the same thing and cannot copy: digiras.chm

I will try again with the other drive by itself. I want to eliminate hard drives being at fault.

try a new DVD / Cdrom drive

in another computer make a cd 2 cd copy of the disk and try again - worse case find just that file - burn it to a CD - insert the CD - copy the file, then put back in your XP cd. - i have had to do this once or twice.

Also might want to try a new IDE / SATA cable.

If you are using the motherboard in your sig try the sata ports provided by the other sata controller.

There are four common issues that result in file copy errors when installing Windows XP:

1. Bad CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive.
2. Bad disc.
3. Bad hard drive.
4. Bad memory.

You've eliminated the disc being the culprit, the hard drive probably isn't the issue, so I'd check your optical drive and your memory.

This is a fairly common problem, caused by CRC read errors. A couple of tricks that have helped me... turn off DMA mode for your optical drive in BIOS (PIO mode doesn't do CRC check)... or substitute an old slow CDROM drive during the install.

With these problems you had, did you reset the CMOS? If so and you forgot to up the ram voltage to 2.8 like the crucial memory likes then it can do that.

Sp4nk said:
There are four common issues that result in file copy errors when installing Windows XP:

1. Bad CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive.
2. Bad disc.
3. Bad hard drive.
4. Bad memory.

You've eliminated the disc being the culprit, the hard drive probably isn't the issue, so I'd check your optical drive and your memory.

I have tried 3 different optical drives so I figured that wasn't the problem. I have tried to install on each of the hard drives separatly with the same results so I ruled the hard drives out. I pulled my Crucial ram and put in a cheap stick of kingston and it got a bit further in the process but still did the same thing.

The kingston I used was a little 256 meg stick. Would this cause problems because it is so small?

Frank4d said:
This is a fairly common problem, caused by CRC read errors. A couple of tricks that have helped me... turn off DMA mode for your optical drive in BIOS (PIO mode doesn't do CRC check)... or substitute an old slow CDROM drive during the install.

I will try this and see if it helps.

YARDofSTUF said:
With these problems you had, did you reset the CMOS? If so and you forgot to up the ram voltage to 2.8 like the crucial memory likes then it can do that.

Yep, I have reset the CMOS a couple of times and then bumped the ram voltage back to 2.8. Still same problems.

I have replaced most components of my system due to a bunch of strange things going on with my system.

I have replaced my cpu, graphics cards, motherboard, and powersupply. I added a second Raptor and checked over the original one as well I know how.

The only things that were not replaced were the optical drives and the ram.

I put each stick of ram through memtest for at least an hour with no errors. I figured if I had no errors I could rule it out as the problem but everything seems to point directly at the ram as the culprit.

My rig has been down for about 4 weeks now and I am going crazy. :confused:

Back