XP Pro won't see "2nd" CD inserted into drive

typhoon43

2[H]4U
Happens on BOTH of the optical drives.
Example: Put Doom3 disc into CD-Rom drive, it spins up and reads. D: drive shows "doom3" in the CD drive. I can play the game with no problems. I got to play another game so I eject Doom3, and put in let's say Sim City. Well nothing happens. No autoload. I go into My computer and the Cd drvie still lists Doom3! Double clicking does nothing, refreshing does nothing. Hard ot believe it's an optical drive issue since it happens on both the Sony DVD burner and the Lite-On CDr in the rig.

Any ideas? I have to reboot every time I want to play more than one game in a night :mad:

ya know i had this problem at one point long ago, and don't remember what i did to fix it :)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom]
"AutoRun"=dword:0000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"allocatecdroms"="0"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:00000091

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

I believe these are the registry settings needed for autoplay...

basic quick potential (but probably won't be it) solutions: 1. run antivirus software (there was an old win95 virus that did the same thing) 2. run adaware 3. change your IDE cable.

I've encountered this problem to, my normal work around is just to eject the cd and ask explorer to access the now empty drive, it will fail and realise the drive is empty. Now you can pop in another CD. Only happened once or twice and I have disabled autoplay.

BTW the correct way to turn autoplay off/on is by using the Windows Powertoy - Tweak UI (it's on the Windows CD).

enjoy

Thanks guys,
I'll try the registry keys first. I believe Autoplayis disabled.

Back