XP Pro still doesn't work despite new mobo and cpu

finalgt

Supreme [H]ardness
Hmm. My old mobo was an AT7-MAX2, coupled with a 2500+. In order to install Windows XP on that, I had to disconnect all my hard drives (I had 4, have 3 now) and install onto only one. However, as soon as it would restart to go into Windows, the screen would go black after the loading screen and then the computer would instantly restart. So I just got an MSI K8N Neo2 Plat and a 3200+, and I figured I'd try my hand at installing XP again, since MS is already apparently trying to phase it out...I got a couple "unable to read file" errors in the first stage, but nothing fatal...and it repeatedly sad it couldn't install a couple devices in the detecting devices stage; the two devices being CDROM and DISKDRIVE. But again, nothing fatal, and eventually the setup completed and the system restarted. After the loading screen, the screen goes black for about a minute...and restarts.

I had chalked up the problem to my motherboard before, but I've replaced that now; the only things that are the same on my computer now are the PSU, Optical drives, and hard drives. Does anybody know what would cause XP to freeze and instantly restart like this? Oh, and the video card is a 6800GT...and I've tried installing with other vid cards, and it does the same thing.

p.s. legit copy of Windows too

Hmmm werid issue, have you checked the ram? Are you over clocking at all?

Try copying all the xp files to a temp folder on the hardrive and installing from there the file will be %temp folder you made%\i386\winnt.exe
Oh try slip streaming to sp2 if you can, that might solve the issues for you.

The RAM has passed 3 consecutive runs of Memtest86; it's a 512 stick of Corsair PC3200CAS2 XMS. I'd say it's quality stuff. The PSU is a 550 watt Antec TruControl, with the 12v rail adjusted to run at 12.05v. Again, I pretty much ruled out this component as well. I will attempt slipstreaming SP2 tomorrow, and see what results that nets me.

I always let memtest run overnight, you can't always find memory errors in a few passes. However, if it's biting you in the ass every time, you would have likely found it in one pass. I would test more just to be sure.,

Unable to read=bad CD or drive (maybe cable). Try a different disk, then drive. Any unable to read error may produce an incomplete install.

are you sure you have the drives set up master/slave properly? dont use cable select.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I have had a few issues with installing XP. These types of issues sometimes require a BIOS update. See if a more recent BIOS is available, cross your fingers, and update. (if it's new, and you bork the BIOS, you can take it back, so un-cross your fingers ;) )

Have you run a drive check on the drive you're installing on? Maybe it's flaky.

Back