XP Pro & P4M800PRO problems

m4dc4p

n00b
I recently purchased an ECS P4M800PRO-M (v2) board and a Intel E4300 to go into it. I've had the BIOS flashed to the latest version so the board POSTs correctly.

I am trying to install Windows XP and am having numerous problems. I have tried to install to two different Maxtor IDE drives (one 250GB, the other 40GB). The install appears to proceed normally, until the "last" step when Windows XP boots. The Windows XP "progress" screen appears, and then it blue screens with an error like "UNABLE_TO_START_PROCESS1".

This also happens in Safe Mode, and Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

Running the Recovery console from the Windows XP repair disk, I get strange problems such as:

* Unable to list directories on the drive.
* CHKDSK runs very slowly. In the case of the 250 GB drive, it stopped with the message "Your drive may contain one or more unrecoverable errors."

Why I don't trust these errors is the same drives were running fine using my previous motherboard, chip, and XP install that same day. Also, both drives detected fine in the BIOS and I also made sure the boot drive was the primary master.

Is there a driver I need to install to make this work? Should I try to install a "3rd-party" driver when the XP Pro setup first starts?

Thanks for any help, and I'm glad to provide any clarification.

Justin

I recently had to return that same board (Fry's) because I was having major issues with it. I picked it up new, but they had 12, yes 12 boards that were returned. I personally would return that board and pickup something else. It seems people have nothing but problems with it.

I recently had to return that same board (Fry's) because I was having major issues with it. I picked it up new, but they had 12, yes 12 boards that were returned. I personally would return that board and pickup something else. It seems people have nothing but problems with it.

If I don't get it working tonight, I will. The E4300 it came with is great, but the hassle of this MoBo isn't worth it.

Any recommendations on a low cost mobo that still supports IDE, DDR and AGP I could get instead?

I did a quick search and found this board
Your unfortunately not going to find much of a selection.

Thanks for taking the time to find those - the ASRock looks pretty decent for allowing incremental upgrades. Its so painful to buy memory + mb + cpu + video card all at once!

No problem! I know what your saying...I have heard pretty good things about that Asrock board. I went to their site and it says it supports Core Duo processors. I think there is a thread on here somewhere about that board.

I was pretty pissed with the ECS board, I tried for hours trying to get it to post and nothing!

Good Luck!

Back