XP Pro not sharing all the contents in a shored folder

nismohks

Limp Gawd
i share a Hard Drive on one computer across a network so that i can access files from it from a remote computer, but i have noticed that when i view that shared drive from another computer, not all the folders are displayed on the remote computer.

any ideas? i just use normal windows xp file sharing and i have a wireless router and a laptop using wireless to access it

simple file sharing? Did you check the permissions on any shares not listed?

its just normal Simple File Sharing.

i don't have any other associated settings for it.

anything to do with the windows xp services??

I've heard nothing but problems using the fisher-price file sharing. I'd disable it, and set the options up the right way.

im sharing the whole drive under My Computer using simples file sharing.

i don't know how to share the drive using the other method of file sharing.

what is the best way to share a drive's contents across a network?

also i find that this only occurs when i share a drive where there are a lot of files.

also i'm using ntfs file systems on both computers using winxp pro.

would permission and that affect this? however i think its a bit strange since some torrents i downloaded using hte same program and same user can be viewed on the other networked computer and some cant.

nismohks said:
also i'm using ntfs file systems on both computers using winxp pro.

would permission and that affect this? however i think its a bit strange since some torrents i downloaded using hte same program and same user can be viewed on the other networked computer and some cant.

On the "other" computer, open Explorer, then go to tools, folder options, click on the view tab.

Enable "Show hidden files and folders", then be sure to click the button labeled "apply to all folders".

See if that "fixes" your problem.

FYI, it is not particulary a good idea to share out the root hard drive of any computer. If you want to share files, then simply create and share folders rather than the entire HDD.

i have already ticked the "show hidden files" button and it still doesnt work

one thing is really strange. i just used a friends Powerbook G4 wirelessly to look at that same shared drive and it can see all the files but my other computer still doesnt work.

ps my OTHER computer is actually my vaio laptop connecting wirelessly

For example on the host computer's drive which i have shared i have these files:

FILE A
FILE B
FILE C
FILE D
FILE E
FILE F

but on the networked computer i can only see these folders:

FILE A
FILE B
FILE C
FILE F

i jsut tried resharing on the host computer and i let all the users have full control under NORMAL file sharing in winxp(not the simple one) and it still doesnt work.

soemthing is really srange. the MAC OSX powerbook can see ALL the files, however i jus tried on my brothers computer (comp winxp #3) and it see the same files as my vaio laptop.

any ideas?

If you can't provide the information requested, then I can't help you.

Post screenshots or the actual folder names.

i have MANY MANY MANY folders and files on that drive.

but i will use a smaller sub folder called External as an example, since when that subfolder is viewed from the vaio, some folders within that subfolder are not being shown. However, if i share External by itself by right clicking it and sharing it, i can see all the contents of it on my vaio which is very strange.

thet actual contents of EXTERNAL

[folder] DC
[folder] Quicktime
[folder] 3-3-06
[folder] Prison Break
[folder] Arrested Development
[folder] Coach Carter

there are no individual files in that folder

when viewed on my vaio:

[folder] DC
[folder] Quicktime
[folder] Prison Break
[folder] Arrested Development

I have figured that it has nothing to do with the time they were created.

I didn't ask for you to post your entire folder structure. A simple screenshot from each system would have sufficed. However I will try to work with what little information you give.

Right click on the folder(s), click properties, and see if the hidden attribute is checked or unchecked, it should be unchecked.

I don't see why he should take a screenshot, he's outlined the problem very well.

Right click each folder not appearing via the network computer, make sure there are permissions for users to list/view contents. Then click on (if you have simple file sharing off) Secutiry and check permissions there. If everything seems to be in order, click advanced and make sure there isnt a permission denying access. Look at the security permissions for each folder too, just to be sure.

If you remove the share, and then reapply it, does the second computer sees the full content of the drive? Sounds to me like windows or the file system is not adding the new folders to update the current share.

oldmx

i checked all folder individually. non of them have Hidden on. they just have the "read only" box ticked which is normal for all the folders.

i have tried resharing the drive but it still does not work

i have rechecked the share allowing EVERYONE to have full access. Yet the same folders still aren't shown.

i believe it MAY be the netowked computers playing but dont know how since the powerbook is able to view all the shared contents. limits of file sharing?

i think i found the fix.

it seems to work well so far, at least all the sharec contents(that i know of) are working and displaying

once again the one to blame yet again is..... MICROSOFT!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896427 :mad:

those new powerbooks with intels running Boot Camp and WinXP look seriously promising now. i wont have to rely on a particular OS to do certain tasks :p

What'd you do to fix it??? In the event someone else has a problem like this

in my previous post, just go to the microsoft link i provided and there is a patch to download

i think its wise to install it for several reasons especially backup. i backup my photos (a few thousand) from one computer to the other and if i find out that the backup i made is not the exact same as the original files and i was missing some photos i would DEFINITELY be pissed off :eek:

hity645 said:
I don't see why he should take a screenshot, he's outlined the problem very well.

There are clues that can be gained by viewing the screenshots, that otherwise may not have been communicated via the OPs explanation.

However as it is, the OP seems to have fixed his problem.

Back