xp pro lite

It seems the only difference between XP Home and XP Pro Lite is "...Remote Desktop, User management and enhanced security features." Did you purchase XP Pro Lite, or did you use the hack on XP Home? It seems like a good way to get some functionality out of the Home version, though I personally only find the security features useful (I'm on XP Pro). In the link below, they state that you may have problems installing service pack 2.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/03/xp_hack/

trailerparkboys said:
anyone else use this? pretty nice light version of xp ;)

sounds like a hacked up version of XP. Now there is a program called XP-Lite Pro that will take a lot of things out of any version of XP. Is that what you're talking about?

from the gui side there alot missing , but at the core everything for the most part is still there, yet unable to access it. there even no run command on the start.

yea i bought a 166 laptop on the boards here and it was running it. yes a 166 mhz running xp with 96 megs of ram :)

seems almost like xp embedded .

BTW it has the SP2 updates already ;)

i love to find th same lite version for the media center edition .

Grab nLite and do it yourself. 99.999% percent chance that the person that created that XP Lite thingamabob used nLite to do it, as most any "hacked" and stripped out version of XP does.

By the way, hacking the OS with those tools violates the terms of the EULA, soooo... most people could care less, but it's still a violation of it...

bbz_Ghost said:
By the way, hacking the OS with those tools violates the terms of the EULA, soooo... most people could care less, but it's still a violation of it...

It would seem that it should be considered "fair use" to mangle your copy of your licensed OS to fit your needs. You are not tarnishing MS' image or causing them extra headaches by purchasing the full version, and modding it to your liking.

That really bothers me if it truly is against the EULA. What is next - can't mod your car because technically you bought a license to use your car strictly as it was built?

Back