XP pro.. graphical or console??

ok.. i just reformatted today.. and i am going to download a new f@h client..

should i get the graphical or console?

i had the console once.. and it didn't minimize to the taskbar.. and it didn't start automatically with windows.. i never had any problems with graphical.. it always worked.. and i didn't ahve to rememebr to start it up ..

so, is console faster enough to make a difference? and can i make it run automatically and minimize to the taskbar? or should i just get graphical?

thanks

The console version now has a service mode. Move it to somewhere like C:\fah, and then from a command prompt do these:
c:
cd \fah
FAH500-Console.exe -configonly
and tell it you want to install as a service. Then it'll always start (even when you're not logged in) and stuff. It'll also ask you for user name, team, etc. 33!

Welcome to the team!

First off, let me tell you how a lot of us configure the console client - we set it as a service and use EMIII to monitor the client. Why do we use this combination? Because the console-client can be set as a service (meaning when the computer boots up, the folding-service starts). Services don't create a box in the taskbar. EMIII monitors the console-client and reports back on any problems and can calculate for us Points Per Day (ppd)/Points Per Week (ppw).

Second off, let me tell you why the preferred folding client is the console-client: because there are issues that the graphical client has with certain video drivers/setups.

So, if you had no problems with the graphical client, then feel free to use it. If you did have any problems, then use the console-client.

To set the console client as a service and to start automatically when Windows starts, when you start the console client for the very first time (or if not, start it with the -config flag from a shortcut), answer yes to the question when it asks you 'Launch at startup, installing this as a service'. And to be even more helpful, here is a link you can follow for complete instructions on the console-client.

Remember to register at www.hardfolding.com and then get your [H]ardfolding badge code from your personal stats page.

GwilyaGwees

cool.. worked great..

i got fah502-console.exe .. now i just have to see if my cpu usage is pegged at 100% so i know its working,...

i had emII or whatever it was before.. but never figured it out.. that was when i had 3 comptuers and i tried to have it monitor them all.. but really.. should i care? i just let it run in the background.. i get all confused when people talk about 600 pointers and such.. i do know how to check my stats at hardfolding.com and stanford... but rarely do..

If you're not interested in the stats, there's not much reason to use it. It would tell you if there was a problem with one of the machines' progress, but it mistakes network errors for folding errors, so it makes it a little tricky to know when to panic ;)

personally I'm RAM-low on most of my computers, so I just use EMIII to check on the status regularly... I notice something's wrong when the %s haven't changed after a few hours, the trick is remembering... have paper here for that...

Back