XP Pro Completely Freezing Up...

So, I got a new mobo and processor (A64 3000 939pin, and Chaintech ULi M1689). I reinstalled windows xp pro without any problems, but as soon as I started getting the OS back to the way I liked it, things started freezing up. I experienced freezes during SP2 installation (which caused me to reinstall XP Pro AGAIN), then it did it again while tranfering a large file from another computer over the Lan, then again when defragmenting, and again while Norton was doing a full system scan. I noticed all of these seem to be somewhat Harddrive focused activities, but I didn't know. My brother's first thought was that it was my RAM. I've got 512 PC2700. It was running at 333, but I moved it down to 266. It was freezing up in both settings. ANY help would be greatly appriciated.

First, when you re-installed XP, you should have made an SP2-slipstreamed version for the install. Second, as soon as XP is installed, you should be installing any chipset drivers for your system. Did you install them?

werd...

I also had issues until I built XP with a slipstreamed installation... up-to-date BIOS, chipset and (hopefully) WHQL certified drivers are also a good way to isolate crash issues.

As an aside, make sure your settings in the BIOS are set conservatively, i.e. don't overclock until everything is nice and stable, patched, etc... My $0.03 <-- adjusted for exchange rate ;)

I've never even hear of a slimstreamed installation. I'll look into it right now, see if I can't get that going on. Thanks, Ill let you know how it goes.

I think I got it working. I installed the latest drivers from the mobo maker. I have SP2 running right now, so I guess we'll see if she craps out on me again. Hopefully not. Thing is, I had the mobo drivers installed before and it didn't work, yet this time, it seems okay. If something happens I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for all the help. Also, thanks for the tip about the slipstreaming. :)

Back