Xp Pro click on anything and it refreshed to desktop

fenderltd

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2007
started this on Friday, I restarted, checked for spyware, everytime I try to click on a folder on the desktop, my computer, internet explorer, it just removes the task bar and the icons, and then the desktop reappears again... Thanks in advance

fenderltd said:
started this on Friday, I restarted, checked for spyware, everytime I try to click on a folder on the desktop, my computer, internet explorer, it just removes the task bar and the icons, and then the desktop reappears again... Thanks in advance

That sounds like explorer crashed and restarted. There are a number of things that could have caused it. It could be damaged system files, a virus, or something else completely.

Have you scanned for viruses recently?

Have you installed any new software recently?

Are you runnning the latest service packs?

fenderltd said:
Latest service packs check.
Virus Scan - running now. All though I have Symantec set to monitor all files
Only software installed.... was Microsoft Defender on Thursday. I think I might just throw in this new HDD I have here and hook this drive up as a slave to get my files... I cannot get into C:\ or my other drive to transfer my files...
Have you tried booting into safe mode?

Latest service packs check.
Virus Scan - running now. All though I have Symantec set to monitor all files
Only software installed.... was Microsoft Defender on Thursday. I think I might just throw in this new HDD I have here and hook this drive up as a slave to get my files... I cannot get into C:\ or my other drive to transfer my files...

yeah that was crazy... I did try safe mode... Its over, I used a new HDD I had sitting around and just slaved my other HDD to get my docs I wanted. Thanks for the help though!

Back