XP Pro and Linux dualboot question

Mabrito

Supreme [H]ardness
Right now I have XP Pro and Suse Linux setup up for a dual boot. I want to format the hard drive where Linux is on, and just add it to XP Pro. If I was to go into disk management and format the hard drive, will my boot sequence get messed up? Or will reconize Linux is not there anymore and get rid of the Dual Boot?

Easiest way to revert a dual boot system to a single boot is to pop in the windows XP disk and select repair.

Go into the command prompt and run fixmbr and fixboot.

If you format the drive with linux on it, how do you expect to dual boot without reinstalling linux?

Either way Grub is a decent bootloader for any operating system, as long as its there you can boot into anything bootable.

Whatsisname said:
If you format the drive with linux on it, how do you expect to dual boot without reinstalling linux?

Either way Grub is a decent bootloader for any operating system, as long as its there you can boot into anything bootable.

I dont want a dual boot system anymore. I just want Windows XP.

txstangguy said:
Easiest way to revert a dual boot system to a single boot is to pop in the windows XP disk and select repair.

Go into the command prompt and run fixmbr and fixboot.

Do what tx said, it will fix your problems.

Ok I pop in my disk and I dont have a option for Repair. My options are the following:

Install Windows XP
Install Optional Windows Components
Perform Additional Tasks
Check for Compaitblity

hrm which drive is the first in the boot order, the drive with windows xp or the one with linux? I assume you're using grub or lilo, and its loaded into what was the master boot record of your windows drive (that was pretty dumb.. really).

If you were smart you'd of put the linux drive to be the booting drive, and just have lilo/grub loaded into the mbr on that drive, and you wouldn't have a problem if this was the case. Anyway, if lilo or grub is loaded into the mbr of your windows disk, I believe booting to the recovery console with the xp disk (google it ...) and type the command FIXMBR should get ntloader backinto working shape. On the following reboot you should boot directly into windows, and then yes you can use the disk manager to format the linux disk back to ntfs...

Back