XP or Vista

XP or Vista regardless the drivers you can't find !

• Total voters
Regardless how long it takes to find drivers for either operating system .. Would you take a new vista box and stick xp on it, or vice versa..

Perhaps you keep both options open. do tell

Sorry I should have made the poll with more options and I cannot change it now ..

If you are not using XP ( xp 64bit ) or Vista ( whatever type ) than please post your selection.

Please read question on Post 8 about Cd's Thanks

Personally, If i had a pc that already had Xp on it, I would prolly not upgrade to Vista until Xp reached EOL. If I was buying a new PC, I would put Vista on it. That is just how I would do it.

liked vista on my wife's new laptop...installed it on my laptop...loved it...installed it on my desktop...love it. I liked XP a lot, but Vista really does it for me. :)

Let me be the first to say:

OMFG NOT ANOTHER ONE OF THESE DAMNED THREADS. *ahem*

I choose XP x64 (which is actually Server 2003 x64 in disguise) for a variety of reasons even though I have a quad core with 8GB of RAM these days. Doesn't matter, there are issues with Vista that will never be resolved to my satisfaction - to put it bluntly, I just don't like the OS, period.

Should have more options on the poll, regardless.

Let me be the first to say:

OMFG NOT ANOTHER ONE OF THESE DAMNED THREADS. *ahem*

I choose XP x64 (which is actually Server 2003 x64 in disguise) for a variety of reasons even though I have a quad core with 8GB of RAM these days. Doesn't matter, there are issues with Vista that will never be resolved to my satisfaction - to put it bluntly, I just don't like the OS, period.

Should have more options on the poll, regardless.

I agree. Personally though I don't think it is so much the problems anymore as I just don't like it. It's like with cars, it may be a great car but you can still hate it.

I'm not sure what to vote. I think Vista is a perfectly fine OS and am happy with it, but if the system already had XP then I wouldn't buy a new Vista license for it. (Why would a new system have XP anyway?) I guess I'll vote Vista though, that's probably the idea of it.

If you are talking a high end performance rig, why would you put XP on it? I'm sorry, I think that's a waste.

I just wanted to keep it to a simple GUI perspective, I know there are differences from resource hogs or other forms that may help some select the OS of choice. Yes, Vista may be the new operating system on the market ( since 07.. ) but even for all you XP, XP 64bit - which was nice to use, 98se, Linux, Apple, Vista and Red Hat users.. are you ever worried that come one day you may buy something and not have such existance of drivers for it ??

I've seen some computers on the market that are starting to lose their drivers for the older operating systems and even the custom built computers are starting to lose that in their respective driver cds.

Speaking of CDs, Has anyone noticed the price of those compared to DVD lately ? What sence does it make to back up a program cd onto a dvd with such space waste, even worse come Blue Ray ( 25gb ). What are you going to do when cd is gone !!

~ I just posted this in another thread, so a c/p is what you are getting. One thing I didn't state is that every XP capable machine I purchase will have XP installed on it before being given to the client if they so wish (which so far has been about 100%) ~

Fun to post to kinda old threads. I've tried Vista a number of times since beta and always reverted to XP. Very pretty, my kids loved the bubbles :). My wife threated me with divorce when I put Vista on her computer :eek:. Kind of a side-grade from XP for most things, but not much of an upgrade for plenty. Change of the UI for the sake of change isn't a good thing. Making people hunt for things, going through more steps to complete a task, isn't helpful :mad:. MS may have polled thousands of people what they would like to see in the next Windows, but I think the people they polled were Mac heads that didn't use XP a whole lot. ;)

Plenty of the "tech" crowd that live on these type of boards fail to see that Mom & Dad, Grandma & Grandpa, Friends and Neighbors and other "normal" people have been happily using XP for quite a few years and have little incentive to learn Vista :confused:. Not too mention all the bad press Vista has garnered since it's release. Don't even bother trying to tell a business why they should upgrade to Vista (because they want to pay so much in overtime to the IT staff? :D) I worked at a hospital in the IT department back when XP was released. I left in 2001, but kept in contact with another IT guy there. They upgraded from Windows 98 to XP in 2005 - something to do with standards and cost and productivity and some other silliness. :rolleyes: Does anyone have any first hand experience with a business rolling out Vista to all their systems at this point? I can see very few wanting to make the hardware/software/staff/training/support investment because of the Return On Investment is low (if not nill or maybe even negative?). :(

Since I buy and setup computers for people & businesses for a living I think I have very good firsthand knowledge of Vista's real-world acceptance and what people are wanting to have on their computer. :cool: Last Friday's client wanted to buy a Dell XPS One for his wife, but when I told him it only comes with Vista and Dell doesn't offer XP drivers for it :eek: he decided to look at the Vostro selections. Since Dell will still offer XP drivers for Vostro's for many years to come, Dell Business will see a steady increase in sales while Dell Home will see the opposite. I was happy to see Dell making XP drivers available again for some Inspirons that were originally supported only for Vista. Silly to make users track down drivers for components in other fashions (Inspiron 531 - Dell forums can be very helpful).

How many more smilies can I put in this post? :p Oh well, it's late and I have a Monday morning setup of a new Vostro for an old guy in a small business so I better hit the sack. (Shame there isn't a sleeping smilie!)

I wouldn't think it generally worth it to upgrade from XP to Vista if you already have XP, since the improvements aren't earth-shattering. But it surprises me just how much people have resisted Vista, to the point that "everyone knows" it's awful with few people really able to give a good reason for it (they claim it's slow and bloated, but everyone always says that about every new OS release; I remember thinking myself that it was hardly worth upgrading from 2000 to XP because it was just debatably prettier). It seems much more that Vista is threatening the comfortable XP they know, in most cases.

Just how resistant people are to change is surprising, though - I guess it puts Microsoft in a bit of a quandry. They don't want to be stuck with what's virtually the user interface from Windows 95 forever, but if they even make minor changes like from XP to Vista everyone's up in arms. Yes, the continual Control Panel reorganisation is a pain, but other than that most of the changes have been improvements, like the breadcrumb bar and redesigned Start Menu, and there are very few UI changes anyway. Can people who are used to XP seriously sit down at a Vista machine and stare blankly, unable to get on with their work? Sure, things might take a little effort to get used to, but it's hardly changed the UI paradigm. Maybe many people are unwilling or unable to try things if they change, and use a computer almost robotically - this was the way they were taught to do it, and now it's not exactly the same, so they'll just give up until they're retrained?

Makes me wonder how Microsoft ever managed the Windows 3.1 -> Windows 95 transition; maybe the significant superiority of Windows 95 made companies willing to retrain staff. I can't help but think this would be alleviated if users were more exploratory in accomplishing things rather than sticking rigidly to the script, but it's hard to change that.

Most clients I work for use the computer as a tool, not a toy or hobby. Playing games are few and far between for most people. Tweeking and learning how to work the OS is time and effort that could be better spent. I personally like to upgrade, play with, test different items (love Fry's return policy) and generally learn what people are going to ask me about. The huge lack of interest in Vista has all but ended my playing with it (yeah, I know, how am I going to learn to like it if I don't stick with it?). Maybe MS should have put more "Vista will make your computing experience faster and easier." into it.

I would expect that business clients wouldn't be interested in tweaking and such, but it still surprises me that people used to XP would have a problem with Vista, as the user interface is virtually the same; changes in the appearance like glass windowframes don't change the way the UI functions, and things like the new Start menu are intuitive. The only problem I could anticipate for the average user would be people looking for the "Up" button in Explorer.

I'm curious as to why these threads and polls keep getting made.

Generally, it is to justify not buying the new OS or just hating on whatever the new replacement OS is. I have seen this exact same thread for every new version of Windows.

Vista is here, Xp WILL go away eventually, support will end, games and software will leave it behind. Deal with it people.

I've already saved everything I could possably need to keep Windows XP running in the future, all online install programs and support utilities. Unless it's a new piece of software, I am sure a file server will be simple to maintain years down the road from now. But I still enjoy the XP experience vs the Vista one. I have Vista Ultimate on my laptop so I can speak from both sides. It's not hard to get used to the operating system and find things. I honestly must say that it's not as simple and speedy to find things throughout, like desktop properties is split into different catagories and you have to search just to get the network connection stuff. In the other hand, Nero 6 doesn't work in Vista ! lol

Fun to post to kinda old threads. I've tried Vista a number of times since beta and always reverted to XP. Very pretty, my kids loved the bubbles :). My wife threated me with divorce when I put Vista on her computer :eek:. Kind of a side-grade from XP for most things, but not much of an upgrade for plenty. Change of the UI for the sake of change isn't a good thing. Making people hunt for things, going through more steps to complete a task, isn't helpful :mad:. MS may have polled thousands of people what they would like to see in the next Windows, but I think the people they polled were Mac heads that didn't use XP a whole lot. ;)

Plenty of the "tech" crowd that live on these type of boards fail to see that Mom & Dad, Grandma & Grandpa, Friends and Neighbors and other "normal" people have been happily using XP for quite a few years and have little incentive to learn Vista :confused:. \
I used vista in the beta aswell, for some reason liked it, but I kept going back to XP aswell.
Vista now however, I don't see myself ever going back to XP.
Oh and, vista is alot easier to learn than xp, I'm not sure how you came up with that.

I did like how the installation is different on vista. It's colourful and smooth. Will the Windows 7 take more resources than Vista currently does ? Or less ..

I hated the Vista beta, didn't care much for RTM but I'm very happy with SP1.

Windows 7 sounds like it's coming so soon, for me it doesn't make sense to force myself to use a new OS. I might as well ride XP until it dies, or make the switch to a GNU/Linux system where I won't be forced to pay an OS tax.

I have a few issues with vista, but overall its not that bad. ive bot it runnind on a somewhat old computer just fine. just had to add a new graphics card, which i was planning on doing anyway. Never had driver issues, nor ONE BSOD! I just wish it wasn't so power hungry

Back