XP or Vista for new build?

Jhanfosho

Weaksauce
I am in the process of building a new computer and was wondering if you guys suggest me going with XP or Vista?

Depends. Is this a build you plan on doing a lot of gaming on or do you just want a stable OS?

If you are only doing stuff like internet browsing, light gaming, office stuff, etc then XP is no doubt the way to go. However, if you plan on doing lots of gaming and really want stuff like DX10 then Vista Home Premium or Business is the way to go.

Personally, I'm sticking with XP until at least Vista SP2.

I will be doing lots of gaming and also school stuff. I have heard a lot of good and bad about vista so I'm kinda hesitant to pull the trigger. Especially when XP is just fine.

Shit flip a coin it really doesn't matter becuase if you don't already know the answer already then it isn't important enough for you to notice much of a difference between the two.

On a new build you're not likely to run in to serious issues with Vista. Most of the problems people have are due to old hardware.

I'd say vista because XP 64 isn't as user friendly as Vista 64 and at the prices RAM is at you can easily get 8GB for less than 200. That is ridiculous - I mean even if you don't need it, it is so tempting you might as well - thats my logic at least, maybe thats why my computer always makes me poor..

edit: +1 for the ban

+1 for ban from me as well. the guy gives what appears to be an honest opinion trying to be helpful and this is the thanks he gets?

+1 Vista 64 Home Premium. With new hardware, it should work fine. Also, on a new computer, you won't want to get a new OS for some time. If you take XP, understand that a couple years down the line you may end up having to switch to Vista anyway. I'm getting Vista for my new rig just because I need to get comfortable using it at some point -- what better way than having it on your new home computer? >.>

Vista Home Premium 64 bit System builders OEM. Unless you need bitlocker, remote desktop and backup, then Ultimate 64 bit.

+1 on ban
+1 on 4gb (or a wasteful 8gb if you can afford it)
+1 on vista 64.

Some of you said gaming = vista, but don't games run much faster on XP?

Some of you said gaming = vista, but don't games run much faster on XP?

No. There were maybe 10 FPS difference at launch, worse in some very rare cases, and it's down to 1-3 with Vista being faster on occasion in newer titles. At this point it's just a myth being perpetuated by people who aren't running Vista.

So don't spread the myth. :)

Not a new build but I am upgrading my A8N-SLI premium/4800+ X2 to 4GB ram and a 8800 GTS and have decided to dual boot vista business 64 and xp with vista being my primary os.

I will be doing lots of gaming and also school stuff. I have heard a lot of good and bad about vista so I'm kinda hesitant to pull the trigger. Especially when XP is just fine.

Sounds like you've already got your mind made up, and as such, XP x64 would be the recommended OS. If you want Vista, then Vista Home Premium x64 as others have said. But if you're still fond of XP, and you want that OS, then XP x64 is the way to go on a new build (new meaning multicore processor with a lot of RAM).

Sounds like you've already got your mind made up, and as such, XP x64 would be the recommended OS. If you want Vista, then Vista Home Premium x64 as others have said. But if you're still fond of XP, and you want that OS, then XP x64 is the way to go on a new build (new meaning multicore processor with a lot of RAM).

I'd say if you were going to go 64-bit you might as well bite the bullet and go Vista - better driver support than XP in the 64-bit flavor. If you stay XP, stay 32-bit.

I'd say if you were going to go 64-bit you might as well bite the bullet and go Vista - better driver support than XP in the 64-bit flavor. If you stay XP, stay 32-bit.

It's that bolded part above that causes all the problems nowadays because it's simply not true. XP x64 != XP, as has been explained exhaustively around here over the past 5 years, but people still don't get it. XP x64 is based on Windows Server 2003, not XP Professional x86 (32 bit) edition, there's a huge huge world of difference there.

While it's true that years ago when it first came out in 2003 there was a lack of real driver support overall because it was so new to market, XP x64 no longer suffers from a lack of driver support as it did when it first appeared. It's simply not true anymore, and it would be great if people would actually get that at some point.

As long as you're using quality hardware components and not the cheap shit at the register of every computer store on the planet, you'll be fine, and you'll get 64 bit driver support for pretty much every piece of hardware made today and in the past 2 years. I can't absolutely guarantee that, of course, but in the years that I've been using XP x64 (and many other people as well), there has never been a piece of name-brand hardware I've used, installed, or owned that I could not find a proper 64 bit driver for. Not one.

So anytime someone uses that "no drivers" or "lack of drivers" or the simply evil "better driver support" argument as a way to brush aside what is quite possibly the most awesome OS Microsoft ever produced next to Windows Server 2003 - and I'm completely serious here - I simply have to put a stop to it. :p

If you already have XP and want to use that for now, go for it. if you are purchasing a new OS, there's no reason not to get Vista now.

I'm not an expert, but I am really pleased that CoD 4 is running faster and smoother in Vista x64 than in xp32 :D! I have no problems with Nvidia driver either! My rig was built two weeks ago.

As long as you're using quality hardware components and not the cheap shit at the register of every computer store on the planet, you'll be fine, and you'll get 64 bit driver support for pretty much every piece of hardware made today and in the past 2 years. I can't absolutely guarantee that, of course, but in the years that I've been using XP x64 (and many other people as well), there has never been a piece of name-brand hardware I've used, installed, or owned that I could not find a proper 64 bit driver for. Not one.

Well I may be wrong but I do not think that is completely true. I was seriously considering XP x64 as an OS to load on my Dell XPS 420. I'd like to get 64-bit performance and at the same time, decrapify it. And the XPS systems has some of the latest hardware including an Intel Quad Core Q6600 G0 SLACR and an X38 foxconn mobo. So it's certainly 64-bit compatible. But I can not find drivers for XP x64 anywhere on Dells support webpage. Vista x64 and XP Pro 32bit drivers, yes, But no XP x64 drivers. :confused:

I did run into a couple of pieces of hardware that have no XP64 driver. On my Sager 5793 there's an infrared port and webcam, and neither has XP64 support. I did significant Google hunting, down to the makers of the individual components, and neither has a driver. They do have Vista x64 drivers, but trying to force these into XP64 didn't get them working. I did manage to find drivers for everything else.

My Dell Inspiron E1705 has no Dell-provided XP64 drivers, but on that laptop I managed to find current, working drivers for everything in it.

hmm if you think windows xp is working better i would guess that you should stick to that but....

why not just dual boot windows xp and vista? lots of people do that, and then you could use 1 os for school and 1 os for gaming

but you would either have to buy a second xp disc or remove your current instalation, ones expensive, the other is somewhat annoying. but thats my opinion

Back