XP on partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading the guide at TweakHound He installs XP and Apps on its own partition. What are the benifits of this? I will install XP on a single HDD and I'm not sure if i should partition it or not.

So when you crash windows or scrwe somthing up really bad, you can just format it and not loose your media and data. ^_^ Its a nice idea I will probably do next time I format.

First of all, I would highly advice to just completely ignore "tweaking" sites. Most of what you read is terrible advice or just plain false information.

Seperating the OS and applications would only increase your average seeking distance, thus decreasing performance.

The ONLY reason you should have multiple partitions is when you have one big hard drive, on which the vast majority of the files, in terms of total space rather than number of files, are seldom accessed, and only one is accessed at a time, and they're accessed sequentially so the readahead in the file system can work to good advantage. In that case you can get very significant seek time improvements by putting those files off in their own partition. Sure, the head has to seek over to your "media" partition now and then, but most of the time it can stay in your "everything else" partition.

But that's a very specialized environment. You'd do even better to put them on their own (slow, cheap, large) hard drive.

So when you crash windows or scrwe somthing up really bad, you can just format it and not loose your media and data. ^_^ Its a nice idea I will probably do next time I format.

Putting applications in its own partition would not accomplish this. All it would do is hurt your average seek time, which is the dominating factor when it comes to HD performance.

Either just have one large NTFS partition or seperate your media. You should never split up the OS, applications or pagefile if you have one drive. There are really no benefits and plenty of disadvantages (one of which is the effect on seek times)

If you can only run one drive in the system, I would partition it into 2 partitions. One for the OS and installed apps, and one for your data. Make them both primary partitions, so if the C partition gets hosed, your D partition with your data is safe.

i don't get it what's wrong with partitions if i want to store movies and music on there

There's nothing wrong with partitioning, it's just that some people take it too far. They will have a single disk with 3, 4, or 5 partitions. My personal rule is never go above 2, and that they both should be primary. On smaller drivers, like my 36 GB Raptor, I only have one partition, and that's where my apps and OS go.

yah i have two partitions too..

should i make both ntfs or one ntfs and one fat?

awdark said:
Currently I have my HDs set up like this:

C: = 20GB, System and Apps.
D: = 17GB, Programming, School docs, and Web Page
E: = 37GB, Downloads, music, stuff to burn to CD, digicam pics, basically my "junk" drive.

Which reminds me... I gotta do some spring cleaning.

KoolDrew said:
First of all, I would highly advice to just completely ignore "tweaking" sites. Most of what you read is terrible advice or just plain false information.
I assume you have evidence or proof of some kind for this info? While I agree with you on some accounts I don't on others.

KoolDrew said:
Seperating the OS and applications would only increase your average seeking distance, thus decreasing performance.

The ONLY reason you should have multiple partitions is when you have one big hard drive, on which the vast majority of the files, in terms of total space rather than number of files, are seldom accessed, and only one is accessed at a time, and they're accessed sequentially so the readahead in the file system can work to good advantage. In that case you can get very significant seek time improvements by putting those files off in their own partition. Sure, the head has to seek over to your "media" partition now and then, but most of the time it can stay in your "everything else" partition.

But that's a very specialized environment. You'd do even better to put them on their own (slow, cheap, large) hard drive.

Putting applications in its own partition would not accomplish this. All it would do is hurt your average seek time, which is the dominating factor when it comes to HD performance.

Either just have one large NTFS partition or seperate your media. You should never split up the OS, applications or pagefile if you have one drive. There are really no benefits and plenty of disadvantages (one of which is the effect on seek times)
The only reason to partition a hard disk is for pseudo data security as mentioned previously. I personally do this just to protect my data from the annual Windows rebuild. Also in case the OS craps on itself it's all intact when you go looking for it.

The only thing that you'd truly want to segregate is your page file. But that would need to be on a completely seperate physical volume rather than just a different partition.

First off ignore people spouting off bad advise in forums who fail to backup claims about partition advise (the read access times stuff mentioned is bs since were talking a ms delay at best) .Multiple partitions is a good thing, just ask any unix/linux folks. seperation of os from data is very good disaster recovery advise, I have been doing this for over 10 years and haven't lost any files due to the failure of windows. not once! the only valid advice KoolDrew gave was about the swap file on a seperate partition, this should be with os partition or on a seperate drive.

When you go with a 2 partion install place the OS on the C and put the rest ie programs/personal files on the D. This is done so that when you need to reload windows due to common errors such as bad drivers/changing major hardware/viruses/spyware then you will not loose your important files. Also with your programs on D you will make your C partition less fragmented over time due to installing programs/removing programs/deleting files/etc, and this will help windows run faster.

One example of the benifit of keeping programs on seperate partition would be games like source or wow which have large updates and/or custom configuration files. When you reload your os, then you just rename source to source2, run source install, rename the new install to source3 then rename source2 back to source. bingo now you have all those updates/maps/configuration from before the os reload without wasting your time redownloading. nice huh.

Joshua said:
First off ignore people spouting off bad advise in forums who fail to backup claims about partition advise (the read access times stuff mentioned is bs since were talking a ms delay at best) .Multiple partitions is a good thing, just ask any unix/linux folks. seperation of os from data is very good disaster recovery advise, I have been doing this for over 10 years and haven't lost any files due to the failure of windows. not once! the only valid advice KoolDrew gave was about the swap file on a seperate partition, this should be with os partition or on a seperate drive.

When you go with a 2 partion install place the OS on the C and put the rest ie programs/personal files on the D. This is done so that when you need to reload windows due to common errors such as bad drivers/changing major hardware/viruses/spyware then you will not loose your important files. Also with your programs on D you will make your C partition less fragmented over time due to installing programs/removing programs/deleting files/etc, and this will help windows run faster.

One example of the benifit of keeping programs on seperate partition would be games like source or wow which have large updates and/or custom configuration files. When you reload your os, then you just rename source to source2, run source install, rename the new install to source3 then rename source2 back to source. bingo now you have all those updates/maps/configuration from before the os reload without wasting your time redownloading. nice huh.
Given your first statement, we should ignore your entire post. You gain absolutely nothing by having your apps separate from your OS volume. You want your data files separate, but not your apps. It's pure common sense. Your data files aren't stored with your programs, so this is a moot point.

Read paragraph 2, fragmentation...unless of course you never update your existing programs or install new programs. But I for one like to try new programs and games, and I also remove those that I have no use for. Now site down, study you little hp documentation books and leave the more technical pc aspects alone.

Joshua said:
Read paragraph 2, fragmentation...unless of course you never update your existing programs or install new programs. But I for one like to try new programs and games, and I also remove those that I have no use for. Now site down, study you little hp documentation books and leave the more technical pc aspects alone.
But M$ said that NTFS doesn't fragment!!! :p

KoolDrew said:

Interesting the same can be said about file fragments, which you don't think affect performance. Which is it?

Why are you even giving a rant about performace? The OP didn't state this was a performance tweak. He asked what it does, not what it doesn't do...

KoolDres said:
Putting applications in its own partition would not accomplish this (easier restore).
It doesn't??? Every time a user's machine gets hosed, we nuke the OS+apps and never touch the user's data. In our environment, we obviously keep the user's data on a network share, but logically this isn't any different than a partition.

Scenario 1, Single drive 1 partition.
Part0=OS+apps+user data

Problem:
OS takes a crap.

Solution:
Backup data.
Reimage/reinstall Part0.
Restore data.

Scenario 2, Single drive, 2 partitoins.:
Part0=OS+apps.
Part1=User data.

Problem:
OS takes a crap.

Solution:
Reimage/reinstall Part0.
User data remains intact, as opposed to having to backup/restore the user's data.

Joshua said:
You made a wild claim, and now you should show proof, which is exactly what you were preaching about in your first section. If you took simple basic steps to maintain your HDD, fragmentation wouldn't be a problem. Again, nothing you've shown has given any reasons for why you'd separate your OS from your apps. If you leave your apps and OS on the same partition, you're still not going to loose your important files because they aren't stored there anyway, as you claim. I also try a lot of different freeware apps, and when I remove them, I uninstall, then run a regcleaner....problem solved. Fragmentation is never a problem, and certainly not something diskeeper or any other defrag app couldn't fix. If you were sharper on the technical aspects, as you claim, you'd understand why your comments don't make sense.

Don't come in here with an attitude about knowing it all, and then failing to provide any explanation of your points. Keep the flaming up, and you're posts will be reported as well. If you want to debate this, fine, but leave your atttitude and the flames at home.

Putting apps on a different partition is a bad idea. I shall explain.

In Windows applications, there are several different ways that a program will be installed and configurations for how it will interact with Windows will be saved. For some programs, like many games, doing the little trick of reinstalling the base install and renaming folders will work. However, trying that with, say, MS Office will not work. It's a total crap shoot with Adobe programs (and will often not work with Acrobat). Trying it with other programs that more closely integrate themselves with Explorer will experience spotty performance. In every instance, you are dealing with possible changes with the registry and the Application Data folders that needs to be changed, but the necessary changes with programs that have patches or updates not rolled into the base install will cause loads of problems.

It is indeed true that the Unix model of installation makes the system, program, and data information recommended on different partitions. The reason for this is because other *nix systems store application and program data in different fashions than Windows, and with thier model of storing application data having programs on different partitions simply means the over-writing of a few config files when restoring from a backup. Windows, however, does not work like that (at least, not for all programs). So, treating the two operating systems exactly the same is going to result in problematic performance, whether it is treating Windows like Unix or treating Unix like Windows.

There is a reason the operating systems are considered different. This has little to do with "more technical pc aspects" and has everything to do with understanding how the operating system environment works with programs that run on it. In a lot of very significant ways, Windows and *nix are very much the same. However, in equally important ways, Windows and *nix are quite different.

If you want to just play games, then go ahead and give the previous suggestion a try. Perhaps you'll get lucky. If you have more than just games, then doing so is at your own risk and if stuff doesn't work, you've been warned. "Tweak" sites often concentrate on treating a computer like a one-trick pony and show ways in which to set them up to be just that. Then people come onto forums like this and ask why their computer is exhibiting inconsistent behavior and blaming Microsoft, Bill Gates, the makers of whatever software they can't get working, and everyone else but themselves. Before freaking out when things go wrong, try backing out of whatever tweaks you've done before blowing a gasket. More often than not, putting a machine back to its defaults-- whether it's hardware overclocking or software tweaking --will set the machine right and allow the software you want to operate without problems. Keep that in mind, because that is the most basic troubleshooting tactic that solves the vast majority of problems out there.

Oh, and people who argue about fragmentation as some kind of huge problem are operating on a ten-year-old knowledge base that is far less applicable today than it was back when 9x was the most popular OS. The rest of the world has moved into the 21st century of computing, perhaps it's time for those who build straw men to move there, too. ;)

Hmm, it didn't feel like a flame but I guess some people are more sensitive than others, please don't report me....what ever.

I will try typing slower so that you two will stop reading my words wrong.

djnes-I never made wild claims I just provided facts from years of experience and I wasn't preaching. What I pointed out was the first step in system preparation which will lead to a better maintained system partition, which also requires less use of a defragmentation program, and also provides faster disaster recovery. I never claimed all apps contained important personal documents (my documents, heard of it?) but I did show an example of recovering game files and configurations that would have been lost and taken time to re-download. It would rather suck to make it 80% through a game just to loose completed levels due to spy ware or a faulty service pack. I never made claims about the registry, and what does registry cleaners have to do with fragmentation?? My comments don't make sense?, try working on yours first. I don't contend to "know it all" but I didn't come in making claims that access times will totally suffer due to having multiple partitions. As far as backing up my claims I shouldn't have to spoon feed a savvy user like yourself links, google it.

grenme- when did I tell you to treat windows like unix? Never, but what I did mean was that separation of os from data and apps is a good thing for windows as well as unix. Also you say windows information from 9x is not applicable today and yet your information about how applications look to certain spots when they operate is sooooo windows 3.1/95, XP/2000 is perfectly happy with applications running off D or E or Z, it doesn’t care. And if fragmentation does not matter why does Id recommend defragmenting before and after installing Doom 3. Why is there even a built in defragmentation program built into XP? Because it does matter. (although I didn't think I was arguing this) Also I should have not made an example about renaming source without explaining that not all programs will work this way. But this past weekend I loaded the home edition of XP on a separate drive and after doing the base install of Doom3 & Source & Doom3 ROE I have run into no problems after doing my rename copy trick. none. Also there are some programs such as Mozilla that don't even require running the install to function (writing this on a mozilla drag/dropped from my XP Pro partition). So don't tell me something is a bad idea and will never work if you haven't done it. and your thing about building straw men sounded really retarded. work on that will ya.

Joshua said:
grenme- when did I tell you to treat windows like unix?
You never told me a thing. Instead, you began spouting your own little "tweak" suggestion as if it were just a fact everyone should accept and that anyone who didn't was mentally deficient. No, you didn't use those exact words, but you hardly held back on the inference.

Joshua said:
Never, but what I did mean was that separation of os from data and apps is a good thing for windows as well as unix.
Aaannnd, the backpedaling begins.

Joshua said:
Also you say windows information from 9x is not applicable today and yet your information about how applications look to certain spots when they operate is sooooo windows 3.1/95
Perhaps they look that way to the uneducated and ignorant of how the operating system is actually working (like yourself), but in reality the differences in just how the application that runs on an NT operating system and interacts with the OS it runs on is very much a different thing. The only irony here is that the way in which it interacts—running in completely segregated memory and mostly in "user space" instead of "system space" (I'm using very simple terms here on purpose)—is very much similar to the *nix mode of operating, which is very different from Win 3.1/9x, where a single application could bring the system crashing down to a blue screen even if it was the program crashing and not the program trying to access protected memory unauthorized.

But this is all "under the hood," where the person just double-clicking an executable can't tell the difference. In fact, Windows XP makes it a point to "fool" many programs into thinking they are running in a 9x environment so they'll run. Most of those programs were written in the 9x years and were often inoperable in Win2k, and Microsoft developers decided to find ways to fool applications so the people who had already bought them weren't forced to buy newer versions. Apparently, it fooled a bunch of end-users into believing so as well. For more information Paul Thurrott's explanation should suffice.

Joshua said:
XP/2000 is perfectly happy with applications running off D or E or Z, it doesn’t care.
But it cares very much about %APPDATA% and %PROGRAMFILES% (and %TEMP% and %TMP% and more), and if applications aren't using those environment variables then the chances for a borked install after using a separate partition to "recover" with less hassle is greatly increased.

Joshua said:
And if fragmentation does not matter why does Id recommend defragmenting before and after installing Doom 3.
Because you are gullible enough to take OS tips from a company who makes games.

Joshua said:
Why is there even a built in defragmentation program built into XP? Because it does matter.
No, because a marginal amount of fragmentation still occurs. It's not a bad idea to run a defrag every six or twelve months or so. Nothing like the weekly or monthly ritual from 9x-hell. Even with the fragmentation that happens, it does not significantly affect any performance because—and I have no idea why I'm even bothering to explain this to someone who seems to be claiming to have a working knowledge of *nix—NTFS is a journaled file system that has an indexing service that removes most of the need for defragmentation on large drives in the first place.

Joshua said:
Also I should have not made an example about renaming source without explaining that not all programs will work this way.
Correction: a great deal of programs will not work this way. As I already said, if your home computer is a one-trick pony that pretends to be a game console, your chances are good. Otherwise, the risk is high for program-borking.

Joshua said:
But this past weekend I loaded the home edition of XP on a separate drive and after doing the base install of Doom3 & Source & Doom3 ROE I have run into no problems after doing my rename copy trick. none.
Yay anecdotal evidence. I've done numerous repair installs that basically does the same thing—reinstalls the OS components without removing the data on the partition, thus leaving all those installed folders in Program Files untouched—where applications were completely screwed and no renaming folders would work. Numerous times. I even mentioned some programs in my first post in this thread (Office, Adobe apps) that are notorious for this. This has occurred many times on many different computers and configurations. My anecdotes far outnumber your personal ones, because I'm talking about more than just myself.

Joshua said:
Also there are some programs such as Mozilla that don't even require running the install to function (writing this on a mozilla drag/dropped from my XP Pro partition). So don't tell me something is a bad idea and will never work if you haven't done it.
I've been doing it for years, and I can even take a look at a program's components and be able to tell you which ones will work and which ones won't. You need to chill out and re-read what I said instead of claiming I said things that I didn't. I didn't say it was a bad idea because it would never work, I said it was a bad idea because most people will try it with everything and wind up with a crapload of non-game applications that have proven to not work. I said that suggesting that practice to individuals who use their computers for something other than gaming is a bad idea because it works strictly from the assumption that everyone runs their home PC as a one-trick pony.

In other words, it's a bad idea telling someone to do something when working from the assumption that everyone has the same configuration you do and uses the computer for he same things you do. As a matter of fact, the majority of "tweak" sites out there have the same fallacious assumptions in their suggestions, and that is exactly why they are a bad idea to follow.

Joshua said:
and your thing about building straw men sounded really retarded. work on that will ya.
How about you work on not trying to sound so superior and accept that there just may happen to be people who are members of this forum who know more about the Windows operating system than you? I sure as heck know members here who know more about it than me, and I sure as heck know you aren't one of them judging by your claims in this thread and subsequent backpedaling. I'm giving you an out: just admit you didn't know and were working solely from the perspective of gaming, and let's be done with it.

You sure do like the term one trick pony and that * in unix sure does make you sound oh what was it, l337. Your a joke admit it.

I did no back pedaling, I only expanded to help clear up your misinterpretation of "Multiple partitions is a good thing, just ask any unix/linux folks". But you still miss the point and so I will stop beating the horse to try and get it to drink.

And wtf does an article on windows compatibility mode have to do with installing apps on a second partition? Nothing just like the rest of your argument.

As with environment variables these are set during the installation of the application, and so replacing files inside the folder with updated files does not change this you retard. Again your example points to nothing. I think you need to admit you no nothing accept what you have read on the internet and even then you try and apply that knowledge incorrectly.

With the fragmentation issue, when you have a page file that by default is set to expand/contract with usage keeping fragmentation low helps with access and load times. When you keep the items that change the most such as applications/games on a separate partition you cut down on the fragmentation. The ntfs file system, while not as susceptible to fragmentation as 9x, still gets fragmented. And when a company that has done countless hours of testing makes a recommendation like id made I see it as a pretty valid tip. Just as what I'm telling you isn't a "tweak" it's basic disk management.

And don't try to even compare anecdotal evidence with me. Over the years I have installed and managed windows on several thousand computers. So you need to back down and stfu you forum prowling no nothing, what I bring is far more than just game experience.

edit: if one of these forum users you speak of who know far more than you can come in here with proof that having multiple partitions is bad for your system then I will admit I am wrong. And I don't mean another half-wit like you trying to deconstruct my statements; I mean valid statements of there own.

oh, and your smack weak.

Joshua,

For someone with experience such as your's you sure don't know jack about etiquette. I was fairly interested in continuing in the conversation, but you will get it locked with all the personal attacks you're laying down.

Sensitivity? No, it's called respect. There is no reason a spirited discussion needs to devolve into comments like "you are a joke".

Whatever points you are trying to make become lost in the way you present them.

I'll also add that in your first flame to me, you told me to read my hp documents and leave the technical aspects to someone else, meaning you. That was absolutely uncalled for. Other than the fact I have it listed that I work for HP, you don't know anything more than that. I could load lunch trays in a cafeteria, or I could be the CIO.

As Phoenix86 said, you have much to learn about etiquette and how to interact with other people. No one on here knows everything, and everyday we learn from each other. We just witnessed another member get banned for acting EXACTLY as you have done in this thread.

Grimmda said:
That's it! You work in the Cafeteria! So what's for lunch today[/URL]
I'm thinking maybe some Salisbury Steak, with some mashed potatoes and gravy.

Come on people. Think about it for a moment. This isn't a good idea.

Given: You have 1 physical drive partitioned into a C: and D: drive. You install you OS on your C: drive and all your apps on your D: drive. So you have XP on C: and a bunch of apps/games on D:

Scenario 1. You lose your OS partition. You reinstall XP on your C: drive. None of your programs work on the D: drive anymore since you lost your registry on the C: drive. So you'll have to wipe the D: drive and reinstall everything anyway. This is worthless.

Scenario 2. You lose your D: drive. You're still screwed. Your registry resides on your C: drive and now you have thousands of invalid keys in there. You'll have to reformat your OS drive then reformat and reinstall your D: drive. This is also worthless.

The problem with this logic here is that some think this is a method of backing up your data. This is not fault-tolerant at all. If you lose one partition you've hosed the other one into uselessness. Plus, how often is it that only one of your partitions goes when you have a HDD problem? Not as often as you losing your whole drive. And even if you use a different drive for the C: and D: partitions, you just halved your MTBF without getting any fault tolerance hence shoting yourself in the foot again.

Some will argue that it's faster to have your apps on a separate drive. It may increase speed by a few %, but nothing noticable, otherwise there would be benchmarks all over the net. If you want to use partitions to make your system faster, the only proven way is to have your swap file on a separate drive other than your OS and apps. Even that is a trivial speed increase.

What you should be doing to protect your data is:
Get a backup drive. Be it an external drive, or a separate internal drive.

Create a backup routine. If you want the fastest possible way to restore your system as it was before it went down, backup the entire C: drive and the system state. Otherwise just include the directories that contain critical files (and saved games ;) )

Save all your documents/important files in the same parent directory. I.E My Documents. Then include that directory in your backup routine.

Don't forget to test your backup every once in a while to make sure it's working. And check the log files regularly.

If you have really important data, keep an off-site backup incase your home/office is destoryed. Encrypt it to protect against prying eyes. Keep it secret, keep it safe.

______
This is a hell of a lot more reliable than separate program/OS partitions.

The bottom line is this:
If you have important data on your computer, who gives a shit if you have to reinstall your OS and programs if you lose all your files? Some of you are playing with fire and you're gonna get burned.

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!

Pheonix you right, my attack on KoolDrew was completly out of line and I applogise for that. I promise to work on my etiquette with any future posts and hopefully freshprince has gotten any information he was seeking to get from his post.

Joshua said:
Pheonix you right, my attacks on KoolDrew and djnes were completly out of line and I applogise for that. I promise to work on my etiquette with any future posts and hopefully freshprince has gotten any information he was seeking to get from his post.
Fixed.

Damn! I figured I'd only get 2 or 3 replies.

So in conclusion:
OS and Apps on C: Data on D: = Better than 1 Partition
OS, Apps, Data on C: w/ 2nd HDD for back up = Best

Do I got it straight? Thaks to everyone :)

Yeah, pretty much. I would highly recommend using 2 drives...whether that second drive is in the PC or external as a USB drive. If you have one drive for all your apps and the OS, nothing needs to be saved or backed up, outisde of e-mail possibly, and internet favorites. If you keep your data on a second drive and/or a back up drive, it's safe, even if you hose the OS.

Joshua said:
You sure do like the term one trick pony and that * in unix sure does make you sound oh what was it, l337. Your a joke admit it.
Ahh, the ever-popular e-cock match. You're going to be fighting a losing battle if you play that game with me, boy.

Joshua said:
I did no back pedaling, I only expanded to help clear up your misinterpretation of "Multiple partitions is a good thing, just ask any unix/linux folks". But you still miss the point and so I will stop beating the horse to try and get it to drink.
You stated that separating the program install folder from the system partition was a good idea, citing a couple games as your "evidence." I presented the fact that while such a practice may work if you only play games, most personal computers do much more than that and many of the most common programs out there (I even named some) would experience problems if you tried that tactic. Interestingly enough, you have done jack and shit to prove otherwise, and once again fell back on "well I installed this game and it works" as your only supporting point. I posted information regarding environment variables used in program configurations, yet you provided no alternate supporting points for your claims. I pointed out exactly why someone like you would make the fallacious claim that 2k/XP is just like 9x and would be incorrect, even going as far as giving you a link that explains it in very simplified terms, and yet you provide no support for your claims (but you toss insults as a reply).

Joshua said:
And wtf does an article on windows compatibility mode have to do with installing apps on a second partition? Nothing just like the rest of your argument.
Ahh, shifting context in a weak (and unsuccessful) attempt to discredit. I pointed out the compatibility mode in order to make clear that your association with 3.1/9x interaction and NT/2k/XP interaction with programs was based on false data. You claimed to understand how it worked based on a 'what I see' methodology, while I pointed out how you were seeing only the end result of a much more complex process. You have still done nothing to argue against the NT method of running programs in userspace, which is a key element of why sticking programs on a separate partition can be troublesome if the OS is reinstalled. Once again, you are making baseless claims and offering no support for your claims, while at the same time doing nothing to refute claims and explanations that poke holes in your posts.

Joshua said:
As with environment variables these are set during the installation of the application, and so replacing files inside the folder with updated files does not change this you retard. Again your example points to nothing. I think you need to admit you no nothing accept what you have read on the internet and even then you try and apply that knowledge incorrectly.
No, the games you play will use environment variables on a consistent basis, many other programs use paths instead of environment variables, or they only use the environment variables that carried over from the 9x programming. However, you display no understanding of this and are instead resorting to name-calling to try to sound validated (and not succeeding).

Joshua said:
With the fragmentation issue, when you have a page file that by default is set to expand/contract with usage keeping fragmentation low helps with access and load times. When you keep the items that change the most such as applications/games on a separate partition you cut down on the fragmentation. The ntfs file system, while not as susceptible to fragmentation as 9x, still gets fragmented. And when a company that has done countless hours of testing makes a recommendation like id made I see it as a pretty valid tip. Just as what I'm telling you isn't a "tweak" it's basic disk management.
No, you are quoting a game developer as gospel, ignoring the basic understanding of the operating system it runs on. As for the page file, there is already a thread that covers that in much detail—go ahead and try thread-crapping over there and watch as your claims get quickly debunked by many different people.

Joshua said:
And don't try to even compare anecdotal evidence with me. Over the years I have installed and managed windows on several thousand computers. So you need to back down and stfu you forum prowling no nothing, what I bring is far more than just game experience.
Interesting. I work for a fortune 500 company right now, have worked at numerous different locations from web hosts to business consultants, and have been "in the business" since you were likely in high school. However, none of that is what I'm claiming as making my posts more valid. Instead, I am explaining what I mean and using related information to back it up. You, however, are just citing a few games as your sole source, and doing jack to back up that claim outside of your personal anecdotal evidence (which, as far as anyone else could be concerned, could be a lie). Don't try to get into a credentials war with me, because it's not productive and has no bearing on whether or not your claims have any credibility. I've already explained the credibility of your claims as being workable only under narrow circumstances with a specific configuration, and pointed out why that is not a valid "best practice" for the majority of systems. You have done nothing to back up your claims.

Joshua said:
edit: if one of these forum users you speak of who know far more than you can come in here with proof that having multiple partitions is bad for your system then I will admit I am wrong. And I don't mean another half-wit like you trying to deconstruct my statements; I mean valid statements of there own.
Since I never said having multiple partitions is a bad thing, you are barking up a tree that isn't there. I said that installing your programs from a separate partition than your system is going to cause problems for non-games. You can't even seem to wrap your head around that concept, and yet you still can do no more than throw insults.

Joshua said:
oh, and your smack weak.
Perhaps you should lay off the smack for a while and sober up some. You're getting a bit too belligerent.

FreshPrinceOfBellAir said:
Damn! I figured I'd only get 2 or 3 replies.

So in conclusion:
OS and Apps on C: Data on D: = Better than 1 Partition
OS, Apps, Data on C: w/ 2nd HDD for back up = Best

Do I got it straight? Thaks to everyone :)
That's a pretty darned good bet. Also, if you can keep the data and the backup on separate physical hard drives, you stand the best chances of making sure your data will always be safe. If one drive goes 'ker-blooey' you'll still have the other to back up from.

Joshua, he is a tip. Just ignore GreNME he is a hypocrite and will blindly argue his case however wrong it is.

I havn't read all of this thread so not in a position to say yes or no to what you are saying, but GreNME should not be listened to

Several of you have earned user notes for your bickering in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back