xp on a 440 chipset

ta addict#2

Limp Gawd
I want to install xp on a pIII system with a 440 chipset but can't find a chipset up-date inf for xp and this chipset at intels site,what to do

IIRC (it's been a while), XP has the drivers built in for the 440. Just install and go with whatever it gives you (standard dual IDE controller, I would guess). Are you needing something more than that?

If you really want to, you should be able to google around and find drivers or try something like driverguide.com but I haven't been there in a while.

ok I found a different download page by using a google seach at intels site that list xp as a supported os for the version 3.29 I think it is up-date inf for the 440 chipset so I'm gonna find out if xp can be configured to run fairly smooth on a 400mz pIII with 325mg of memory,hope it will make a good e-mail web surf rig
thanks

You don't need chipset drivers for an older chipset. In fact, if you were to download and run the latest ones, it would tell you they aren't needed. That's probably enough memory for what you intend to use it for, but I think you mean it's a PII 400 Mhz....no that it changes any of the answers.

ta addict#2 said:
ok I found a different download page by using a google seach at intels site that list xp as a supported os for the version 3.29 I think it is up-date inf for the 440 chipset so I'm gonna find out if xp can be configured to run fairly smooth on a 400mz pIII with 325mg of memory,hope it will make a good e-mail web surf rig
thanks
XP runs very smooth on a P2-400 with 256MB of RAM, as I did it for 1.5 years or so (before upgrading). Make no mistake, it's not going to be FAST, but you shouldn't have too much problem. As already mentioned, that should be enough RAM but if you can throw more at it, you'd be better off.

this is a gateway tower with a pIII badge on the case but 98 reported the cpu speed as 400mhz a 2000 model year and the 40G hard drive is howling,came with 64mb ram and I put the extra in a year ago,my niece was liking how much more responsive it was so new 80G hard drive and xp and shes' good
it's faster than the first box I ever tried was a 333mhz pentium with 98,a friends and I remember the thing sounded like it was shelling corn would take couple min. to boot to desktop

Go with the default drivers in XP, there's no updated version necessary. Your system specs are fine, the only thing I'm kind of wondering is whether or not the motherboard in your system can support an 80GB drive. It might be limited to only 60GB.

darn,I had considered that,wonder if there is a bios up-date,I though I rememberd reading 80G and under supported by these
also has a geforce2 and soundblaster pci128 and a new sony cdrw drive so it's fully loaded hi-power machine
I'll have to see if gateway has a bios up-date
the drive will be in 3/30/06

the latest bios release for this ESSENTIAL 500 should support up to 120G hard drive is the info. I find

you might have a problem with the computer shutting down correctly , where it might just say "It is Safe to Turn off your computer" message instead of actually shutting down.

you can google around for solutions to fix once install is complete and you dont want to do a repair re-install ..otherwise you can hit F5 when booting off of xp cd and you get the initial message to hit F6 to install 3rd party drivers ... and try selecting standard pc (I forget exact option wording) .. sometimes you have to expirament with different options until one works (if having your computer being able to shut down on its own is something you want)

I ran XP on a PIII 500 with a 440 BX chipset and it worked fine. I had 512 ram in it. And it ran fine. I have a friend whoes file server is a PIII 550 and it runs XP just fine on the 440 chipset.

I do remember mine being kind of wierd on the shut down aspect though so you might want to look into that.

ThreeDee said:
you might have a problem with the computer shutting down correctly , where it might just say "It is Safe to Turn off your computer" message instead of actually shutting down.

you can google around for solutions to fix once install is complete and you dont want to do a repair re-install ..otherwise you can hit F5 when booting off of xp cd and you get the initial message to hit F6 to install 3rd party drivers ... and try selecting standard pc (I forget exact option wording) .. sometimes you have to expirament with different options until one works (if having your computer being able to shut down on its own is something you want)

I believe that had to do with ACPI...it was a bios setting I believe. I had two Asus P2B's and 2 P3B-F boards...all 440BX chipsets and had no problems on shutdown.

thanks for the warning when the hard drive is delivered I'm ready,I'm gonna research the shut down fix

the set-up was uneventful,bios found the new drive,no need for chipset up-date inf as I was told,no shut down problems it is a pIII@500mhz,works pretty good for light use
thanks for the intrest

Mmmm...the legendary 440BX, I had a [email protected] on my old BX board. Ran XP great, probobly one of the most compatable systems I've ever owned. Also lasted me the longest, I had a Celeron 433@590 when I first bought it then upgraded it to a Celeron 600@1035, Celeron 1100(coppermine)@1250, then the Celeron 1300@1600.

Back