XP not opening up desktop

MOBO: MSI K8N NEO4 Platinum nVIDIA
RAM: Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2 1GB DDR400 XMS3200 Dual-Channel Memory w/Heat Spreader
CASE: Antec Chas ATX 12V FT 500W P/S (TX1050B)
STORAGE: Western Digital Caviar SE WD2000JD 200GB serial ATA 7200RPM w/8MB Buffer
FLOPPY: Sony 1.44 BLK Floppy Drive
O/S: Windows XP Home w/SP2
VIDEO CARD: VGA EVGA GF 6800GT 256-P2-N376-AX
SOUND: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value SB0400 7.1 Channel
MONITOR: 17" Viewsonic X series VX715 Flat Panel LCD
DRIVE: NEC ND-3540A
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz Venice core, 512KB L2 Cache, 90nm, Socket 939 CPU Processor ADA3200BPBOX

Hello everyone, I'm having trouble trying to get my computer to get past the windows blue screen (this is after the loading screen) it just doesn't seem to want to open the desktop at all. I've never really had this occurance before so I'm scratching my head trying to figure it out. All I know that it is annoying. and just last night I had run Drive image to back up all my info. please help Thank you.

Is this a new build? SATA drivers? Has windows worked before, or did you just install it? Are you overclocked?

You've already logged in or it has autologin w/ no pass? Can you press ctrl + alt + del. Start task manager go to the applications tab click "new task" on the bottom right and in the open dialog box type explorer

Try booting into safe mode. If you can get in that way, uninstall your display adapter and try to boot normally again.

obsolete said:
You've already logged in or it has autologin w/ no pass? Can you press ctrl + alt + del. Start task manager go to the applications tab click "new task" on the bottom right and in the open dialog box type explorer

This is my suggestion as well.

Thank you all for your responses. And to answer most of the questions; no I'm not overclocking my system in any way, yes it is SATA drivers, yes it is a rather new build, (4 months old to be exact) but I've been operating with no problems other than my video card overheating. I've been playing UT2004, Halflife 2, Fear etc. Without any complications, but now this. Like I said before it boots up and you can see the loading windows screen, but just as soon as it gets ready to open the desktop it just idles on the windows logo blue screen. I just got back from a trip so I sorry I was not able to respond sooner. By the way I can go into the Bios, but I cannot Ctrl Alt Delete or go into the safe mode for that matter.
Thank You all

Back