XP not detecting new SATA HDD

lorcani

2[H]4U
I just got a refurbished Samsung SpinPoint 160Gb hard-drive from Newegg. The drive is shown with the correct amount of space during boot-up and the device properties for the SATA controller shows the drive correctly (see image below). However, Windows isn't letting me use the drive. The My Computer page just shows one 74Gb HDD, with 1.75Gb remaining (that being the WD800JB primary drive). Anyone have any clue what I should do from here?

sata.jpg

Specs:
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ @ Stock
EPoX 8K9A2+ with Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller
ATi Radeon 9600 Pro @ stock
Samsung SpinPoint SP1614C (160Gb)
WD800JB HDD (80Gb, primary)
Santa Cruz soundcard
450W PSU

Did you goto computer management or disk management to assign it a drive letter and format it yet?

defakto said:
Did you goto computer management or disk management to assign it a drive letter and format it yet?
I don't think so, but my WD drive, when I first installed it, was automatically detected and set as C. How would I give the drive a letter? (sorry for such a simple question, but this is the first time I've run multiple drives before)

It didn't detect it as C it assigned it as C when you installed windows on it

goto control panel, administrative tools, computer management, goto disk management, should show all your drives there, you should probably be able to figure it out from there with some right clicking and experimenting.

Right-click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management > right side, CHOOSE CORRECT PARITION (should say unpartitioned or the like) > right-click, parition and format (or initialize)

And likely when you got your WD you formatted the drive while installing windows. Drives don't come from the mfg pre-partitioned and formatted... that I've seen.

Back