[XP] - Network File Sharing.

Luxbane

n00b
So, here is my situation. I have a desktop and a laptop on my home network. I take my laptop to work every day, but I also do a lot of work on my desktop when I come home. I want to set up a secure Network Share between the two of them, none of this "just share the folder and make sure they are on the same workgroup" stuff.

I think I can remember back in the Win98 days I could simply put a password on my shared folder and everything would be fine -- apparently with XP this is not the case. I don't want anyone but myself to have access to the Share.

How the hell do I set this up? I have looked around, but everything I have found is using domain level security. This seems like it should be much easier than it is turning out to be.

I don't know if this works on XP Home, but it works on Pro.
1. Disable simple file sharing
2. Setup an account on your desktop for your laptop(same login and password that you use on the laptop)
3. Share the folder and add the laptop's account as having whatever permissions you want.

on home you cannot disable simple file sharing but you can set up the account as described and then at the permissions on the share remove the everyone group, making sure only the account and perhaps admin are the only things getting access.

Back