XP Multiple Computers Question

dbu8554

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys I have a retail copy of XP Pro SP2 I have it installed on my music machine.

I also bought a newer gateway that has XP Pro SP2 from a pawnshop for a pretty good deal.

But I didn't get any discs with it, I used the program that finds the CD key for the gateway can I use my XP discs no problem to install it and just use the Gateway CD Key? Sorry if it sounds confusing.

Also I once I get it updated and get my drivers installed and such what program is out there (free is nice) can I use to copy an image to either a Blank DVD or make a separate partition so instead of having to wipe the HD and all this crap I just just fire up that program and use the image to save from installing and updating all this shit over and over thanks alot sorry if I sound simple I have been out of the computer scene for a few years thanks alot [h]..

Technically unless there is a XP Pro Certificate of Authenticity sticker on the case of that gateway computer you do not have a valid license. If the computer didn't have one on it, it should not have been sold to you with an OS on it. Though since it was a pawn shop they probably didnt' know wtf they were doing and just tried to sell it, so I doubt they 'scam''d you on purpose. If the pawn shop didn't do anything to the computer and they are selling it to you as it was sold to them then the key is probably valid, and probably belongs to that computer anyway. However without the COA on the case there is no way to know.

When I was working as a technician for a repair shop, I routinely had to turn away a computer that needed to be formatted and reinstalled because the customer bought it from some second rate shop and was not given a properly licensed OS w/ COA. Some would bring us a key on a piece of paper or written on a CD-R with a sharpie and we'd still have to turn it away.

it does have the sticker on the back of the case never thought of looking there usually build my own systems, shit I just looked the number on the back of the PC is different from the number the program pulled out as the serial number so let me PM you

Back