XP mode

exe163

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone using this?

From my limited experience, it feels like a more refine VPC07. Most important of all we no longer need to lock onto the virtual machine folder. It works just like any other window.

There are some problems I still have.

How do you set the hard drive size of xp? My virtual c drive is 126gb, but I would like to have more storage since I have plenty more space on my harddrive.

Also what's the easiest way to share folders between host OS and xp mode? Looking for something as easy as drag and drop.

P.S. Do I need AV software on XP mode? My guess is yes. Do NOD32 work simultaneously on both host and xp mode?

I'm guessing you have only been using XP mode just like a normal VM and not using it to just run apps seamlessly like they are running in 7?

Once you install an app, close the VM. Go to your start menu in 7, All Programs > Windows Virtual PC > Windows XP Mode Applications.

Then you'll see why XP mode is REALLY cool.

Notice the XP windows in 7:

Untitled-98.jpg

Last edited:
I'm guessing you have only been using XP mode just like a normal VM and not using it to just run apps seamlessly like they are running in 7?

Once you install an app, close the VM. Go to your start menu in 7, All Programs > Windows Virtual PC > Windows XP Mode Applications.

Then you'll see why XP mode is REALLY cool.

Notice the XP windows in 7:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k215/criccio102286/Untitled-98.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Actually I have tried this but did not find any practical use for myself. Vista/7 runs most software pretty well. The main problem I have is 64bit drivers. Some hardware I have (ie wireless adapter) do not supply 64bit drivers, which I don't think XP mode could help unless there are some magic allow drivers in XP mode work in 7 environment. Also I would like to use a program called Peer Guardian, it's better supported in 32bit xp than Vista/7 and try to route my downloads through XP to 7 with shared folder of some sort.

Nope, although I don't really have any need for XP to begin with. On the rare occasion that I need to use a 16-bit app I fire up 32-bit Vista or 7 in VirtualBox.

Actually I have tried this but did not find any practical use for myself. Vista/7 runs most software pretty well. The main problem I have is 64bit drivers. Some hardware I have (ie wireless adapter) do not supply 64bit drivers, which I don't think XP mode could help unless there are some magic allow drivers in XP mode work in 7 environment. Also I would like to use a program called Peer Guardian, it's better supported in 32bit xp than Vista/7 and try to route my downloads through XP to 7 with shared folder of some sort.

Have you heard of Peer Block? You could use that on Windows 7 (including 64-bit), it has an RC with a signed driver. edit: Also, what's the chip in your wireless adapter, some wireless chips have 64-bit drivers but the manufacturer does not offer them (on websites or included CD)?

Last edited:
Have you heard of Peer Block? You could use that on Windows 7 (including 64-bit), it has an RC with a signed driver. edit: Also, what's the chip in your wireless adapter, some wireless chips have 64-bit drivers but the manufacturer does not offer them (on websites or included CD)?

Thanks, and kudo to the crew at PeerBlock. The beta version does work flawlessly on 64bit windows without jumping through hoops with test mode. Though this solved my problem, I am still wondering what uses do my dear forum member have with XP mode besides testing apps on older hardwares. Also is it possible to have drivers for older hardwares to work on 7 through XP mode, similar to the method cricco used.

I still have the open question in http://www.hardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1444309&highlight=drivers.

Can you load XP-only drivers into XPM for use by software in XPM? In particular my film scanner and a couple of other things will likely not be supported under Win7. I don't expect XPM drivers to make the hardware available to all of Win7.

I did just that.

I needed to use an old Action Replay (device used to read Xbox memory cards) and the driver only works in XP 32bit. I insatlled it in XPM, then plugged in the Action Replay and passed it through to XPM via the USB settings at the top of the screen.

Worked great.

I don't see XP Mode in my Win 7 Ultimate program goup. I didn't see it listed in Windows install applications either. Do you have to install VPC to get it?

Ah, thanks. Since I'm running RTM I expected it to be part of the install instead of a beta feature.

Yea I had the same problem when I installed the RTM. I expected it to be in the Program Files. I just decided to Google it, unlike you. ;)

It'd be a bit hard for the thing to be included in the install, considering both Virtual PC and XP mode are in Release Candidate phase rather than Final phase.

To be quite honest it's a bit piss-poor that the feature is still Release candidate, considering it's been touted so much as a 'Windows 7 Feature' and a selling point for the more expensive versions.

Back