XP Mode in domain environment

aronesz

Limp Gawd
Greetings,

We have a machine that will be used for scanning checks to two different banks. Due to driver/software issues between the two banks, we cannot use the same machine for both; this is where XP Mode comes in (Windows 7 will be used for one bank, XP Mode for the other). The existing machines that are being used for this task are flaking out and old (running Windows XP with like 512 MB of RAM), so we're building a new machine (HP Pro 3000 SFF with Windows 7 Professional x86).

Under a domain administrator account, I installed XP Mode and setup the virtual machine at C:\Users\Public\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines. This is where the .vhd/vmc/vmc.vpcbackup files exist for the virtual machine the user should launch when wanting to scan checks and documents for the other bank. I have the "Windows XP Mode" shortcut that launches the virtual machine in the C:\Users\Public\Desktop location with Domain Users added to its security permissions with read+execute access.

I logged in as one of the users (on Windows 7 host machine) and launched that shortcut. Instead of the virtual machine starting, it presents me with a first-time wizard (so it is handling this on a per-user profile basis it seems).

What can I do and should I do? Thanks!!

Greetings nismo_r34,

The virtual machine is joined to the domain and was treated as though a physical machine to be staged and deployed. It is also in the appropriate OU. Thanks!

If it looks like a new machine to each user, your only option is to set it up in one profile.

1. Have all the users that will use the app log on to the machine.
2. Edit the registry so the the profile directory for each user is the same as the profile directory for the user where the machine is configured correctly by changing the value of "ProfileImagePath" for each user under the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.

It'll be a real pain unless the user's sharing the profile are all set to be local administrators.

Back