XP MCE License Question

kent

2[H]4U
I have a legitiment XP MCE that I have installed on the computer in my sig.

The thing is, I'm about to buy a huge HDTV and I want a computer to hook up to it, but I don't like the Antec 900 case sitting by the TV.

Obviously, the motherboards (and onboard NICs) will be different. If I completely disassemble the computer in my signature and reuse compatible parts (CPU/Video/RAM/HDD -- everything but the mobo/case/PSU) can I continue to legally use my Windows XP MCE.

The version of MCE is the one that Newegg sold for $109 (at the time I got a free upgrade to Vista, which I've activated, hated and reverted back to MCE. For reference also, I did the "double upgrade" so my Vista key is tied to Vista, not my old MCE)

It would be an absolute dealbreaker for me if I had to buy yet ANOTHER copy of Windows XP.

Thanks

LOL.

The question is:

Since the version of MCE is OEM or SBP (System Builder Pack), can I switch motherboards without needing to buy a new version of Windows? The computer that it's "tied to" will be disassembled and never used again.

Can I activate it (even having to call)?

So I guess that means at some point you did install that OEM copy of MCE and activate it. That's going to be a problem, yes. You can call Microsoft and skirt the issue or say something akin to "My PC blew up in my face" and more than likely they'll issue you a new key. Little white lie isn't going to hurt anyone unless you're purposely trying to get a second key to run it on two machines at once - that shouldn't work either since by providing the original OEM key it'll be deactivated in their activation database and wouldn't be eligible for Windows Updates anymore directly.

You paid for an OEM MCE and you intend to keep it running on one machine for the future because of a hardware upgrade, I say give 'em a call and fudge the truth a bit. They got paid, and you're not using the OS presently so you're not actually ripping anyone off.

'Nuff typed.

I remember doing this a long time ago for XP Home.

I legitimately had a motherboard fail within 30 days and I chose a refund from Newegg and ordered an upgraded model (ended up being an A7N8X-DLX2.0 that I used until LAST SUMMER)

Long story short, I had already activated Windows, but that was within 30 days. I activated this MCE for the first time in January. I'm sure I could play off a 6 month old motherboard failure again.

It's worth a shot.

Would SURE SUCK to sell my P5B-DLX/900 and buy an SFF/MATX box and get it all setup and Windows not activate and Microsoft say "F U BUDDY!! ZOMG PIRATE!"

The question in this post: Do you know of anyone being shot down? I'm *really* just trying to change my computer "profile" from "200MM FAN LAN PARTY" to "Unobtrusive HTPC"

Even though it is tied to the hardware in the elua they will give you a new activation code. Thing is if you haven't activated it since Jan it should auto reactivate. The timer resets every 120 or 180 days(can't remember which). It is doesn't call them, tell them your reinstalling windows and that this is the only machine it is on. The person on the phone will not care and will give you an activation code.

Back