XP logs out imm after login

xavierq

Gawd
My mom's pc runs XP Pro. It's set up for multiple users with the login screen. When I pick a name and log in, it logs in, and then immediately logs back out to the welcome screen. I don't have a change to run a damn thing. I tried the Administrator, and it does the same thing. Same with Safe mode, even to command prompt. My mom swears she didn't install or change anything.

I don't even know how to begin with this, short of a reinstall. Does anyone have a suggestion? Only answer I've seen is to do a repair, but the XP disks are in NY where I live, not here in Virginia with my family.

ok, I've learned what files were messed up, and how I can fix them if I can just get ten seconds in DOS to fix them. Unfortunately, I don't have the XP disks, and all the PE programs I find need them, and all the NTFS compatible boot environments I can find won't copy to the same drive, or don't support long file names, or some other nightmare. All I want to do is copy one file over another, and there doesn't seem to be a damn thing out there that can do it. What the shit?

Just download, burned, and booted an NTFS compatible offline registry editor. Learned to use it, changed the key, and when it saved it tells me saving longer than initial size isn't supported.

And I'm talking to myself.

Run the windows repair CD. Choose the first R and go into the Windows Recovery Console.

In the Windows recovery console, locate the original file in the i386 it will look like this;

Code:
Original File=thefile.exe   -   File you need to locate=thefile.ex_

folder and use the EXPAND command to overwrite the files.

Alternativly, try holding down SHIFT when logging on to Windows. It bypasses your start up items MSCONFIG style.

You can also make a recovery disk in Windows XP after you get your system running. Than put it in a safe place.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299526&Product=winxp

Cheers,

I see you've completely not read the part where I say I don't have the CD's... no matter, I've finally gotten it. I ended up downloading Hiren's Boot CD, and it had a ntfs util to copy userinit.exe over wsaupdater.exe and now it boots...

Hey my bad for not reading that part. I did post in your other thread, saying to try the ultimate boot cd tho, since I noticed it there. Good for you that your figured it out. I guess all you had to do was take a breather. ;)

Back