XP Logon Screens

MadFlava

Limp Gawd
Anyone know how to stop XP from bringing up the old school Windows 2000 style login screen instead of the XP GUI one? I use a fingerprint scanner for logging in to Windows and it doesnt work on that screen. Last night that screen popped up, first time Ive seen it in months and I had forgotten my password. Had to reboot the PC to get back to the GUI screen again to log back in to Windows but since I dont remember my password, I cant change it.

Anyone know how to just make it only use the XP one?

user settings in the control panel???

I'm on a network at work so I can even get to the gui one from here

I thought about that. Fast User Switching is enabled and the computer is not part of a domain so I dont know why Im getting the network logon screen.

Fast user switching and use the welcome screen must both be checked.
If you're part of a domain you must use the classic logon.

There could aslo be a GPO forcing the classic logon. < less likely but here are the steps to change it.

Start > Run > type gpedit.msc

Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Logon

and then make sure Always Use Classic logon is not enabled and Don't display the Getting Started welcome screen at startup is not enabled.

Fast User Switching and Welcome Screen are both enabled.

I dont have any of those other options under Logon.

Im quite stumped why the PC sometimes defaults back to the network login screen. It doesnt always do it. Usually if you lock it manually, it has the Welcome login screen when you wake the monitor back up. When it locks via screensaver, that's when you never know what you're gonna get.

For anyone else having this problem, the workaround, according to Microsoft is to create a dummy user account and give it a password. That does seem to have solved my problem.

Interesting. I'll have to file that tip away.

Thanks for posting a follow-up, most people don't do that.

What an unusual problem and equally unusual fix. Thanks for posting both.

Maybe the screen saver is initiating some phonehome event that requires a system identifier that is absent in hibernate mode.

Back