XP Lockups

Julius

Limp Gawd
Hey Im having numerous amounts of xp locks up, but they are certain type of lock ups. When im browsing the web or writing in text xp runs nice and smoothly. Even sometimes when Im in dreamweaver it runs nice and smoothly. But when im encoding a movie or just simply playing music in winamp, after a period of time my computer just freezes, cant move mouse , cant type cant do anything. Then theres another type of freeze where I could be watching a movie or playing music or in Sonar. The computer freezes and it makes a noise from the speakers like "ZZZZZZ". Below are my specs

Microsoft WindowsXP Home
AMD AthlonXP 2000 (1.67GHZ)
256 DDR Pc2100 Ram , 512 DDR PC2100 Ram (768 total)
CDRW and DVD Drives
M-Audio Audiophile Soundcard
80 GB Hard Drive (around 60gb free)

Ive tried to run a windows update but I get

"An error occured while copying file HSCXPSP1.cab
Cannot copy file to destination directory
Click Retry to retry the operation or click Cancel

An error occured while copying file hscupd.exe
Cannot copy file to destination directory
Click Retry to retry the operation or click Cancel"
"

Thanks.

sounds like a possible bug dealing with the audio and or video drivers? it could also very well be faulty hardware. maybe it's time for a re-install of windows (if it's over 6 months, i'd say so. but don't take my word, i haven't touched XP in not-a-long-enough time - bout a year)

I just reformatted like a month ago, just bought the ram, and the sound card is also new. I updated the sound drivers and my computer manufacter doesnt any updates for my video.

Back