XP local group policy question

Monkey34

Supreme [H]ardness
I've got an XP pro rig for my kids that has them set up with the "limited user" account type. The problem is that it isn't allowing downloads. I want to change this, but I can't find a gpo thats applicable. Can I create a custom rule allowing or dis-allowing downloads?

I could change their account type to something like power user, but I would rather keep them as limited(safer that way).

To my knowledge, there isn't a GPO setting for this. Why don't you set up a firewall and just allow certain sites and/or block .exe downloads.

A limited user account should not be blocking the capacity to download stuff from the internet. If this has somehow 'just happened', (and it's not downloads in general disabled in the browser's security settings), then delete/recreate the limited user account might be in order.

A limited user account should not be blocking the capacity to download stuff from the internet.
Thats what I thought.
If this has somehow 'just happened', (and it's not downloads in general disabled in the browser's security settings), then delete/recreate the limited user account might be in order.
Well, it really didn't "just happen"...(being a bit lazy) I moved my kids hdd to a newer comp build, and got a bsod during the repair install. I then reinstalled xp on top of itself, and recreated the accounts - copying the documents and settings back in. Everything is ok, except now they aren't allowed downloads.
I guess I will "go backwards" elevating their accounts, and then restricting some settings.

User account corruption, resulting from the migrate to a new motherboard and a repair install! It "just happened"! :D

As suggested above, delete the user account(s) and create new one(s). Or better still, start over with a clean install. Repair install with a mobo migration is and always was a 'hope for the best' scenario, despite what anybody might say to the contrary. If things fuck up for you afterwards, best to accept reality and start over again.

Thats what I thought.

Well, it really didn't "just happen"...(being a bit lazy) I moved my kids hdd to a newer comp build, and got a bsod during the repair install. I then reinstalled xp on top of itself, and recreated the accounts - copying the documents and settings back in. Everything is ok, except now they aren't allowed downloads.
I guess I will "go backwards" elevating their accounts, and then restricting some settings.

what files and settings? their whole profile folder?
I have seen that cause a plethora of issues! I migrated (actually using software from a company called ForensiT) a users profile to a new laptop (moved from a Dell D610 to D630, so no huge change in hardware), her profile is dorking things up bad. Tons of MS Office issues, dual monitors (running off a docking station) were flaking out, tons of issues.

Once I manually recreated her profile, all issues were cleared up.

Back