XP License SURVEY

HallaDuke

Limp Gawd
I was wondering...
Where did you purchase your Windows XP HOME/PRO license, and how much did you pay for it? I bought the $79.00 edition and the invalid product key is about to expire.

If you paid 79$ for windows the product key should not be invalid or ever expire at least not that I ever heard of.

P.S. Windows XP Pro 67$ local

i got one of my professors to pick up a copy from my university with his faculity "discount" (pay for the media it is burned on :) ) so i have a vlk through he university

Got it through my school district and at the time I think it was $50 cheaper than retail, plus its a corporate edition, which means I don't have to activate it after every install :)

My 2K rig is VLA through a previous employer, it was given to me (all IT folks were given free desktop OSes). When I retire it, the system will get S2K3 license (also free from MS).

I'm about to build a X2 system, and I will download the XP64 trial until my current company starts it's program, then I will buy XP64 throught their VLA account (not sure of the price yet).

The last OS I actually paid for was W98.

$10 - Windows XP Beta program
got like 4 final retail copies from MS

$0 - Office I worked for bought 5 extra copies when they bought their bulk pack. I kept one. it's what I use now tho updated image

$250 - (Sorta) AMD Tech tour deal, mobo, 3200+ A64, Motherboard, WinXP 64 pro

I got my XP license(s) free from work, about 20 of them, as well as several 95, NT 4, 98, 98 SE, ME and 2K Pro free as well :eek:

I got Win2K Advanced Server license from a previous job where we were trained to administer it and were given a copy from the teacher, who is high on MS's list of recommended trainers and gets free software from them.

mikeblas said:
What's a VLK version?

VLK = Volume License Key. AKA: the "Corporate" version for lack of a better term. You buy licenses (5 minimum); buy a media CD; and use the VLK as the product key during install. No product activation.

I purchased an XP Home upgrade license from Best Buy when it came out back in 2001, and about a year ago i got an XP Pro license free from my school through the MS Academic Alliance.

I could claim legitimacy either through my staff discount (I do have a copy of XP from work that I bought), although I could also say I am using the MAA licensing. ;)

I got mine with my new Dell Laptop, XP Pro SP2 registered to my own name, a non VLK.

MooCow said:
I got mine with my new Dell Laptop, XP Pro SP2 registered to my own name, a non VLK.
If you bought the laptop yourself, directly from Dell, it's definitely not a VLK.

XP Pro, VLK from school, free. We get VS.net 2005, too (and we've used the beta until now), so there's some form of deal going on.
I've got a free 2003 server license around here as well.

Ahh kk... yeah I tend to edit like sometimes up to three times on a stupid post, gotta stop doing that.

XP Pro, and XP Pro 64bit through MSDNAA. And, XP Home came with a machine.

1 copy of Home Update $59
1 copy Home OEM on laptop
2 XP Pro from Microsoft @ $39 each
1 X64 free

My old computer science dept. gave out tons of free copies of MS software. They even gave out a volume license edition once (every student in the dept. could get their own VL key and CD image). Heh, whoops--that download wasn't available for very long, luckily I caught it before they noticed the error. Anyway, I have about 4 copies of XP Pro, all for free :) 3 are the usual 1 key, 1 activation, plus the volume license version. Just download and burn. Pretty sweet deal.

Now if only they'd give out copies of office :(

From my university. Only $5 for WinXP Pro......And my x64 I got for free...

Through my university:

$10 XP Pro
$10 Office XP
$10 VS.net

then i blow the whole deal and run linux anyway. rofl.

Signed up for the MS reseller program a while back, and twice they offered some nifty little adversiting packages that came with a full copy of XP Pro for $50. Came with all sorts of cool stuff like posters, toys, gum, bobblehead dolls, etc... I just got it for the $50 XP Pro, but the other stuff was actually pretty decent. If there's one thing MS is good at, it's marketing.

My wife is currently taking a class at a local CC, and I think they offer really cheap copies ($5-$10) of Windows and Office. I need to have her stop in and pick some up if they do.

$140 XP Pro OEM with my Laptop for one copy.

Then I have another copy of XP Pro and XP64 each free [and legit] through MSDNAA.

since this is a 'survey' it'd be nice to see some aggregated results?! Also, you are aware that few people with illegal versions will post here, hence there will be no 'representative' sample.

Humm I got a copy of xp with the go pro baseball promo for like 40 or 50 bucks. I also have been on the action pack for a while so I have 11 copies of pro, one of home, one of media center, and 10 of xp 64. I also Have gotten free ones and stuff from ms at various events.

Full XP Professional license purchased through the MS Store for $25 or $30.

Here's what I got...

aaabb-xp.jpg

J/K

My father did some survey thing with them at the Redmond officer,they usually give you your choice of 1 free legal copy of software.I told him to get XP Pro.This was back in 2001 I believe The license key is still valid to this day.

Back