Xp install lockup..

Neo2741

n00b
hey,i recently finished building new comp and everything is running great.ive had it for a while now and wanted to do a clean install to freshen things up and because i had some spare time.well when i started up and started installation while i was in windows i rebooted so i can continue the install by selecting XP Pro setup from the boot menu and it starts to go into setup where you select your boot drive and stuff but just locks up.I tried installing using the cd and the 6 boot disks but the same results.hmm an help would be appreciated.

Neo2741 said:
when i started up and started installation while i was in windows i rebooted so i can continue the install by selecting XP Pro setup from the boot

wait a minute.. you were in windows and started the installation? huh??????

yes when i was in windows i opened the disk and it had a menu that said install win xp,install additional components, and some other things.it started to copy a few files then rebooted so it can finish the install.At the boot menu i chose "Windows Xp Pro Setup" and it said "Checking hardware Settings..." then went to a blue bios-like screen that said windows setup at the top and thats where it freezes.I know it freezes because when i tried installation with the boot disks i could hear the floppy drive reading up till this point. i didnt mean to be this confusing.

Go into your bios and set the first boot device to cd-rom and let it boot straight into the setup.

i recently finished building new comp
:rolleyes:

If you've finished building a new computer, unless you are DELL, HP, GATEWAY, etc, I don't see how this could possibly be an OEM==Original Equipment Manufacturer== bought an ENTIRE PRE-BUILT SYSTEM.

I would suggest you request this thread be moved.

Just my 2¢

if you've backed up your data.. you should
1) change the boot order in the bios to cdrom
2) boot system with xp disk in..follow directions
3) delete partition and recreate or just quick format the c
4) load windows in c..
5) follow directions...

its that easy... If your system has sata drives and its not an intel chipset you may have to hit f6 during the first part of the installation ( keep an eye out for the prompt ..it can be fast)
and load the sata drivers from floppy

Mine was doing the same thing....hanging at "Setup is starting Windows".....until I removed my graphics card. My board has onboard video so it wasn't a big deal to do that.

i am having the same problem. HELP!!! I just got a new mobo abit nf7s v2. It woudnt load windows with my old hardrive(it flashed windows screen and rebooted) so i got a new 160gig sata hitachi drive. formated nfts, did the f6 thing for the sata driver, windows freezes with 30-39 min left. during install.

i cleaned my cd, didnt help
so i used ghost on the old drive to copy to the new drive and now it flashes to windows and reboots

things im going to try are put some old memory back in( i used this memory before and had no problems with it but u never know)
take out everything but video card and hardrives and cd rom(no onboard video)

system specs are one stick of 512 ram kingston
win xp pro
pny geforce 6800
mobile 2600 cpu
400 watt antec smart power
sound card
ethernet card
usb adapter

Back