Xp home server, Xp pro terminals

itsmikey

Gawd
Had this issue earlier

XP home is on the server

XP pro is on the terminals (restaurant registers)

1; Can see, map, RDT to terminal (192.168.4.10)
2; Terminal can ARP /a and see server;

CANNOT ping, connect, etc server.

I later noticed that when I try to enter the Windows directory from server to terminal, access denied.

I get prompted for the GUEST password.. guest had no password on the terminal, or server.

I even tried giving guest a password on terminal. Still wouldn't take it.

Both computers logged in with the exact same administrator password. I recreated them, made brand new ones, even unshared/reshared drives.

I deleted all previous mappings, and had it "map using username" administrator.

All subnets the same.

Like I said, you can ARP /a and see the terminal sitting there. You can also ARP /a from the terminal and SEE the server. But you cant ping/map/anything FROM terminal to server.

This sounds like the common XP home networking issue.. But I wanted to get more advice before I tell the customer to throw on Pro/2k and call me back.

It's connecting through a 3com managed switch. I'm not allowed to modify this, it's not our equipment. I had the customer take system off of this and run it directly through a small dumb hub, same issues.

Thanks!

edit: also made sure all Sp2 firewalls are off.

That's what I figured.

Told the guy earlier to put XP pro on it.

I'm just scared to get that call at a 8am "uh.. i installed XP pro.. same issue"

But the fact that it would NOT let me choose anything other than a guest account made it pretty obvious that it was an OS issue

Back