XP Home network problems

CHollman82

Gawd
I have been trying to get file and print sharing working between me and my girlfriends computer but I am having a hard time. I have a linksys router / 4-port switch connected between my cable modem and the two computers and internet connection sharing is working perfectly, but I can't connect to either computers shared folders from the other. From my computer I CAN ping her computer, but she cannot ping mine. The workgroup name is the same and everything else that I know to configure is fine (like the subnet mask, default gateway, WINS, netbios through tcp, etc.). Also, I did make sure that windows firewall is disabled on both computers. Any suggestions?

Is simple file sharing enabled? (you find this by going to My Computer --> Tools --> Folder Options --> View --> and them scroll down until you see Simple File Sharing. If it is checked you might consider unchecking it.

Also, have you shared the correct folders? for example, to share the My Documents folder you right click on My Documents and go to properties, then Sharing.

And try one more thing for now, are the usernames the same on both comps? you might want to get the same username up on both comps and see if it works?

Okay, I figured it out, zone alarm was preventing me from connecting. Now I have a new problem though. Both computers are set up to share the entire hard drive. I can connect to my girlfriends just fine, and she can use most of the files on mine okay too. The problem is I have a folder called videos that has avi and mpg videos in it and she cannot play any of those files, media player says "access denied" when trying to open them, she has videos on her computer too and I am able to play those no problem. I don't get it...

Back