XP Home loads, but background frozen?

dejacky

Limp Gawd
Computer: Compaq Presario R3000 notebook.
It boots into the dektop, but none of the icons respond to clicking. They don't even become highlighted. The "Start" button in the bottom left has a black box over it and the clock on the lower right side of screen also has an overlapping black box. When I press control + alt + delete, task manage pops up and I can use the"run" command to run CMD..but thats about it. I cannot run any programs or access anything in the computer! :confused:
Can someone pls help me?

-dejacky

I have had that issue. It was caused by explorer.exe

If you have taskman running, goto the RUN command and type "explorer". That should reload explorer and give you control over your desktop again.

If that doesn't work, roll back to a working date in safe mode...

After that.. repair OS from CD or reinstall..

Good Luck!

got a nifty external USB 2.0 hard drive enclosure for my laptop drive. Hooked it up to my desktop port and Virus Scanned the disk to find the following viruses!:

Repaired:

Win32.Stwoyle.M
Win32.Secdrop.JU
Win32.Stwoyle.J
Win32.SilentCaller.V

Active:

Java.ByteVerify!exploit

So, I just deleted the entire directy of that active java virus. I'm defragging the drive now and will re-run a virus scan on it afterwards. I hope it fixes everything! Any other suggestions?

Typing this from the laptop again :). Those external hard drive enclosuers rock! :)

Back