XP Firewall won't leave me alone!

[email protected]

Weaksauce
I did a fresh install on my rig this past weekend. I decided to upgrade to service pack 2, and see if it gave me the problems that some people are complaining about. Everything runs just fine. Machine feels like new and runs smooth.

Only problem ... after EVERY restart, that little Microsoft Security Center pops up and reminds me that I don't have a firewall in place. I have told the security center to not monitor ANYTHING, as I take care of that myself. I run NAV, my router has a firewall, and I prefer to turn auto-update off. On restart though, it ALWAYS pops up and warns me about the firewall.

I have a registered copy of XP, but I use a 'borrowed' copy for installs because it's rediculous to have to call MS everytime I do a reinstall (about once every 2-3 months ... I like a clean machine).

Any ideas on what I can do to get rid of this annoyance? Thanks!

Go here

alerts1.gif

Uncheck these

alerts2.gif

I already did that. In fact, I've done it every time that I restart Windows because for some reason it keeps RE-checking the firewall, and ONLY the firewall option. That's what has me so frustrated. I've told it to leave me alone, and it just won't!

Any other ideas?

Here's your fix, the downside (if you can call it that) is that windows will no longer notify you if these are disabled for some reason.

Go to run and type services.msc
Look for "security center" NOT "security accounts"
Right click on it and hit properties
Press Stop
Change the startup type to "disabled"

Congratulations, you're done.

Back