xp corporate key after sp1

ok, i read that xp corporate edition with sp1 might send information back to microsoft so they can keep track of how many computers are actually using a corporate license. is this true? or does the key just allow one to install xp?

Yes it is. You can get an OEM license pretty cheap.

Cheers,

hmm.. ok, so what happens if you get a corporate license for say... 50 computers.. and you install it on # 51... they key will still let you install it... will microsoft send out the auditors??

No they won't but some keys get out into the internet, and MS has included them in a table in SP1. It will "spoil" the key. If you have a legitimate license, it will ask you for a new key. You can call MS and get a new corp key, and it will allow you to install it. You have to essentially "re-activate" the copy. Since corp editions are already activated, you really only need a new product key.

This in turn allows you to install SP1. MS doesn't collect information specificall on HOW many numbers, but since corp keys are suspect to theft, they don't care if your system needs to be "re-activated". It takes sysadmins with the proper paper work and licenses 10 minutes or so to get the new key.

As for direct monitoring, no they don't do that just yet, but it will be happening soon.

Cheers,

Originally posted by scottatwittenberg
ok, i read that xp corporate edition with sp1 might send information back to microsoft so they can keep track of how many computers are actually using a corporate license. is this true? or does the key just allow one to install xp?

Utter BS and FUD.

If a person had a pirated copy of XP Corp and tried to install XP SP1, the service pack itself had a blacklist of keys and informed the user the key they were using was invalid.

Installing XPSP1 does not "phone home".

"As for direct monitoring, no they don't do that just yet, but it will be happening soon."

is this going to happen after sp3??

and what does "direct monitoring" mean?

Microsoft right now does not collect information on the users that activate. All that is required is your country (exporting laws mainly).

As for when you update a corp edition. Blacklisted XP keys are identified, and you will not be able to install SP1. I HAVE SEEN IT HAPPEN.

I just figure that in time (possibly sooner than later). MS will want full disclosure, especially with Corporate editions.

Cheers,

Originally posted by SJConsultant
Utter BS and FUD.

If a person had a pirated copy of XP Corp and tried to install XP SP1, the service pack itself had a blacklist of keys and informed the user the key they were using was invalid.

Installing XPSP1 does not "phone home".

So I take it you are concuring with my post, or are you comming to the same conclusion as me, but didn't read what I posted? Anyway this is exactly what happens. MS doesn't phone home. I do suspect that it may eventually come to that, but right now its not implemented.

Cheers,

Originally posted by Eigtball
Microsoft right now does not collect information on the users that activate. All that is required is your country (exporting laws mainly).

As for when you update a corp edition. Blacklisted XP keys are identified, and you will not be able to install SP1. I HAVE SEEN IT HAPPEN.

I just figure that in time (possibly sooner than later). MS will want full disclosure, especially with Corporate editions.

Cheers,

I have had someone sucessfully install, then it shut down the system with a 'invalid key' type error when he rebooted. It totally fubared the computer. Just buy the software...

Originally posted by psychosonik
I have had someone sucessfully install, then it shut down the system with a 'invalid key' type error when he rebooted. It totally fubared the computer. Just buy the software...

There is a way to get around it on the install, and it usually works. If you are Windows updating it usually gets you during the install. If you do a network download you can bypass that check, UNTIL you reboot. Then it tells you you are screwed. MS has been doing that for a while. Like the Windows 2000 install. It installs it, Than it asks your for a key. Its to make piraters wait too see if that bad CD key doesn't work or not.

HAHA. Just pay for the stupid software. You can get OS's cheap with OEM. When you get your next piece of hardware get the OS for like 50% off. Or if you are University Student you can get a student license sometimes for free.

Cheers,

Should I:

a) be amazed this thread wasn't locked after the first post

or

b) imagine you guys are all talking about LEGITIMATE "volume license keys" for XP?

I'm almost tempted to tell you how *I* got past the VLK thing and my Windows Update still works normally post-SP1.

Originally posted by SuperSubZero
Should I:

a) be amazed this thread wasn't locked after the first post

or

b) imagine you guys are all talking about LEGITIMATE "volume license keys" for XP?

I'm almost tempted to tell you how *I* got past the VLK thing and my Windows Update still works normally post-SP1.

This thread has been about legitimate keys and questions about corporate installs as far as I can tell. But we don't need to mention anything that we all *know* will get this thread locked.

I have a retail XP Pro copy. I dont use it though for one reason. Activation.

I use the oppostie to a store bought copy (which I dont consider illegal since I did buy the retail box) for the reason I just eioned. I change hardware weekly, I use my box for testing and am constantly adding and taking parts. I got sick to death of having to reactivate.

Its a pain in the ass for lefitimate customers. Therefor I use the alternate copies.

If I could just disable the activation everytime your HAL changes slightly I would gladly use my retail copy.

I gave MS a chance. I did the right thing by them (always have) and bought their software. I dont appreciate the way their activation works one bit. I hope they seriously reconsider for longhorn.

Originally posted by SKiTLz
I have a retail XP Pro copy. I dont use it though for one reason. Activation.

I use the oppostie to a store bought copy (which I dont consider illegal since I did buy the retail box) for the reason I just eioned. I change hardware weekly, I use my box for testing and am constantly adding and taking parts. I got sick to death of having to reactivate.

Its a pain in the ass for lefitimate customers. Therefor I use the alternate copies.

If I could just disable the activation everytime your HAL changes slightly I would gladly use my retail copy.

I gave MS a chance. I did the right thing by them (always have) and bought their software. I dont appreciate the way their activation works one bit. I hope they seriously reconsider for longhorn.

This sounds like a good solution to activation. As with all EULA's you are licensed to USE the operating system, you don't own it, Microsoft does. Thats why you aren't allowed to give it to people to use.

The only thing I am not sure of is that a Retail license, may not cover all the aspects of a Corp install. I haven't read the EULA because I HAVE to use the program, so I might as well agree to it. Does it say that you have to ACTIVATE the software in your license? If it does, than you are violating it by using another build. Or does your license cover all builds?

On another note, this conversation is about LEGITIMATE corporate licenses, and the factors that may involve your current product/CD keys being invalidated, and the abilities of the Sysadmins to change the corporate keys.

The keys that were are talking about are blacklisted, because they fell into internet pirates, with peg legs, and hooks for hands... but I digress this is a good thread, and lets keep it that way.

Cheers,

^^ sounds like a plan!

EDIT: The ^^ don't work as well when it puts you on a new page.. haha

Back