XP bootup help!

pixelperfect

Weaksauce
I NEED HELP!
When I boot up my win xp PC and it gets to the blue user login screen (password protected) my pc REBOOTS? Sometimes it repeats 2 or 3 times. What is happening?

I can always get to the desktop in safe mode but I'm not sure what do look for. I have done the following:
- system retore to a previous day
- checked for spyware/viruses
- checking the startup in msconfig (didn't see anything weird)
- defragmented my hard drive...

I have no clue what could be cause this. I did add memory and 2 case fans back in Aug but it was fine until now..? I hope my hard drive is not dying on me. I would appreciate any suggestions thanks.

Since you can boot fine in Safe Mode, check your event logs for anything, and also make sure automatic reboots is disabled.

Go to the Management Console (right click, choose Manage on My Computer). Your Event Viewer is there.

As for the Automatic Reboots option, this is one of the first things to do when installing the OS. Right click on My Computer, then select properties. Then Advanced, Startup and Recovery, and uncheck it under System Failure. This way, if you are getting a BSoD, you'll see it.

Go to the Management Console (right click, choose Manage on My Computer). Your Event Viewer is there.

As for the Automatic Reboots option, this is one of the first things to do when installing the OS. Right click on My Computer, then select properties. Then Advanced, Startup and Recovery, and uncheck it under System Failure. This way, if you are getting a BSoD, you'll see it.

I disabled the auto reboot and as for the system event viewer log... Some of the most recent are:
type: error | source: service control manager | event: 7026
des:The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
cdudf_xp
Cinemsup
Fips
IPSec
MRxSmb
NetBIOS
NetBT
Processor
RasAcd
Rdbss
SAVRTPEL
SPBBCDrv
SYMTDI
Tcpip

type: Error | source: system error | categorty: (102) | event: 1003
des: Error code 000000d1, parameter1 111025e4, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 ba564cd9.

I don't know what they mean...?

I'm still having the same problem... but since I turned off auto reboot now I get the blue screen with the message:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical Info:
***stop; 0X00000000; 0X0000001 (0X111025E4, 0X00000002; 0X00000000; 0XB9E4DCD9)

*** RT2500.sys - address B9E4DCD9 base at B9E37000, Datestamp 42675c99

Does this make the problem more obvious? I would appreciate anyones help.

I'm still having the same problem... but since I turned off auto reboot now I get the blue screen with the message:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical Info:
***stop; 0X00000000; 0X0000001 (0X111025E4, 0X00000002; 0X00000000; 0XB9E4DCD9)

*** RT2500.sys - address B9E4DCD9 base at B9E37000, Datestamp 42675c99

Does this make the problem more obvious? I would appreciate anyones help.

It's a driver issue. Do you have a linksys wireless adapter? That file - RT2500.sys when googled seems to pull up a linksys adapter.

You might be able to remove the driver in safe mode and then reboot okay. If you get an error message about the windows installer not running go to start - run - type services.msc. when the window comes up scroll down on the right till you see Windows Installer. The list will be alphabetical. Try to start the service and run the uninstall again.

The event log error you posted is just services that don't run in safemode. assuming you pulled up event viewer in safe mode that would be the cause.

It's a driver issue. Do you have a linksys wireless adapter? That file - RT2500.sys when googled seems to pull up a linksys adapter.

You might be able to remove the driver in safe mode and then reboot okay. If you get an error message about the windows installer not running go to start - run - type services.msc. when the window comes up scroll down on the right till you see Windows Installer. The list will be alphabetical. Try to start the service and run the uninstall again.

The event log error you posted is just services that don't run in safemode. assuming you pulled up event viewer in safe mode that would be the cause.

Yes, I have a linksys wireless adapter...I've had it since 2004 and I updated the driver a couple years ago. Can i just add/remove it then reinstall it? or do I have to uninstall it in safemode?

Yes, I have a linksys wireless adapter... it that the problem? can i just add/remove it then reinstall it? or do I have to uninstall it in safemode?

Like I said looks like the driver. Since you can't get into normal mode (right?) you'll have to try through safe mode. But yeah, you'd want to use add/remove programs to take the driver out, and see if there's an updated one at the linksys site.

Like I said looks like the driver. Since you can't get into normal mode (right?) you'll have to try through safe mode. But yeah, you'd want to use add/remove programs to take the driver out, and see if there's an updated one at the linksys site.

Actually sometimes I am able to get in without safemode... right now I am in selective mode. So I am going to go to the linksys site to see if their are any new updates... I will let you know.

Thanks

OK, I think my driver is 2005-03-15 and the lastest driver on the linksys site is 2005-05-03. If that is the case then wouldn't I have had this problem way back then??

Should I still remove current driver and install new driver.

I would definitely install the new driver regardless. The conflict/error could've been cause by any number of things.

I would definitely install the new driver regardless. The conflict/error could've been cause by any number of things.

Ok Dallows,
I did the following; in normal mode I removed the linksys wireless adapter driver. I then reboot the system where I got the same blue screen error so I reboot it again and was able to get on again in normal mode. I then installed the new linksys driver... and i was told to shutdown... so I did. Turned PC back on to finish the install got to desktop ok.. created network profile... set everything up.

I then restarted windows to give it a test. 2 restarts and 1 shutdown and didn't get the blue screen. I think it might be fixed.... I hope!

Thanks!

The problem is not fixed... I just reboot feeling happy and I got the same error... RT2500.sys...:(

Well it's definitely related to the linksys card and I'd 99% say it's just the driver. What about windows updates? Are those set on automatic or have you done them since the problem started?

Edit: You might want to try uninstalling the driver, then search for the RT2500.sys file and delete it manually if it's there. Restart see how it comes up and try installing the new driver again.

Well it's definitely related to the linksys card and I'd 99% say it's just the driver. What about windows updates? Are those set on automatic or have you done them since the problem started?

Edit: You might want to try uninstalling the driver, then search for the RT2500.sys file and delete it manually if it's there. Restart see how it comes up and try installing the new driver again.

OK, I was in normal mode and tried to add/remove the driver and I got the blue screen halfway through. :eek:(first time that happened) So I reboot in safemode... removed the driver and then searched for RT2500.sys and erased any that were in a windows folder.

I then reboot got in fine, installed driver again... asked me if i wanted to restart... I said no will do it later to get on with the install but then got the blue screen again. So had to reboot, got back in a finished the install and here I am. :(

it's possible the card is bad. do you have another machine you could install it to and try it out? Also are you running windows xp? if so do you have the cd? we could try running chkdsk /r to see if that can help

it's possible the card is bad. do you have another machine you could install it to and try it out? Also are you running windows xp? if so do you have the cd? we could try running chkdsk /r to see if that can help

Yes I'm running windows xp pro. I doubt the card is bad.... how do I run the chkdsk..?

Boot to the windows xp cd. when it gets to the welcome screen hit R for repair. it'll load the recovery console. it should prompt you to chose a windows installation, should only be 1. so hit 1 and then enter. should take you to a C:\>. type chkdsk /r and hit enter. let it run. Might take a while. After it finishes it should report back if it fixed anything. type exit, hit enter and it'll restart.

Boot to the windows xp cd. when it gets to the welcome screen hit R for repair. it'll load the recovery console. it should prompt you to chose a windows installation, should only be 1. so hit 1 and then enter. should take you to a C:\>. type chkdsk /r and hit enter. let it run. Might take a while. After it finishes it should report back if it fixed anything. type exit, hit enter and it'll restart.

Well I couldn't find my XP cd so I did it by right clicking the harddrive in windows. I reboot and then it started checking the files... 5 stages. At the end it went to another screen could have been the results but it didn't stay long and just reboot windows.

Is there a way to see the results still?

So far so good, no blue screens yet. But I will only know for sure in a couple of days. If the blue screen pops up again then I'll be back.

I appreciate all your help.

I still got it! :( it seems really random. When I get the blue screen... the next reboot usually gets in.

Back