XP bluescreens on load after mobo/proc/RAM upgrade

someoneyouknow

Weaksauce
I just received my new hardware today. I've got it all installed and everything, however, I'm unable to load XP. My mobo passes POST no problem, even successfully does the extensive RAM test (as in disabled quick boot). It's a very generic message, and on the BSoD it says:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follows these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Techincal Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF8951640, 0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Items installed:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
1x512MB PC3200 Mushkin RAM

Troubleshooting steps taken:
Tried switching the RAM stick to the other 2 banks, and still get the same error. If the board supported PC133 RAM, I could try my old stuff to see if that really is the problem, but unfortunately they're aligned different.
I've booted from a boot disk and I can run fdisk and see my partitions, and I can also run the boot from Partition Magic and see my partitions that way as well. It's for this reason that I don't think it could be the hard drive controller, although I haven't eliminated it yet.

My theories:
It's a refurbished mobo. I'm thinking it may have been refurbished because of the HD Controller. I hope not :(
Maybe not because: I can see my partitions through other boot programs. I just can't load XP.
The RAM might be bad, but I have no RAM to swap it out with.
Maybe not because: The RAM passes the POST test without a hitch. Even the extended test that runs through all 512MB 3 times over. It doesn't complain or anything.

I haven't tweaked with my BIOS yet, except for enabling the Q-fan system. I haven't even attempted to OC anything at all. Anyone care to give an opinion on this? Also, since it's a refurbed board, I don't have documentation, and the documentation manual from Asus's website doesn't do a very good job of explaining the pin grid for the power/LEDs/etc. I've got them all figured out except for the HDD LED. Anyone with this board (rev 2.0) care to tell me where this one goes as well? The easiest way would, I suppose, to tell me where it goes based on this diagram.

Rear - Front
ABCDEFGHIJ
Bottom

Originally posted by Wixard
Did you try reinstalling windows xp?

Will it start in safe mode?

Will not start in safe mode, nor even in "safe mode with command prompt".

I really don't want to have to reinstall Windows because I haven't backed up in a while, although I could always throw the HD into the computer I'm using now and transfer temporarily, but that'd take a while and if reinstalling XP doesn't work, then it's a lot of wasted time.

Originally posted by Dracul
when you change mobo's 99.99% of the time you HAVE to reinstall windows.

Yep yep. Sometimes windows doesnt like a whole new computer :D That stupid product activation doesnt help either. Man i was have a problem with a semi hosed hard drive i though was the cpu and had to re-activate windows like 3 times in a row. ugh, windows xp is ok but man...billy needs to lighten up.

Edit: dont feel like speeling properly tonight.

But even if I'd have to reinstall, would the process of NOT doing so prevent me from booting whatsoever? I mean, it bluescreens as soon as it brings up the loading screen, not even a complete second into it. Grrrrr....

Hard to tell, it might blue screen, or it might not. Youd think by now theyd have multiple colors to break up the monopoly on blue. Hey...well now that i think about it that makes sense. Or im just tired :p

Bro... your problem is the new hardware.

You can get away with what you did if you don't change chipsets (most times in my experience, anyways)...

As in if you change from VIA to SIS or Intel... you will have to re-install windows. BUT-- ALL IS NOT LOST. ;)

You can do a repair installation. Don't confuse this with the repair console. Just start the install process as normal for Windows XP. It *SHOULD* offer you the option of repairing your windows installation, then it will install windows again, but keep your file structure intact. Do not format... that would be bad.

I think if you try it using the above advice, you will find it self-eveident. You will have to do windows updates again, however... but you won't lose you data/programs.

BE SURE TO BACK-UP ANY CRITICAL DATA. Hopefully you did this before changing all your hardware. No guarantees here. :(

Good luck!

-Skystalker

wow I should buy some lottery tickets ! :)

The windows repair install is a great help when something like that happens. see above post. chances are your mobo is fine.

Old specs were a Chaintech 7AIA mobo, Duron 700, and 256MB of PC100 RAM. Big upgrade, isn't it? Only at least DOUBLE everything :p

Unfortunately, I didn't backup anything. I was excited and trigger happy with my new hardware, and forgot totally about it. It wasn't until I was putting in the final screws when I realized "Y'know what? I didn't back anything up. Let's hope this works."

Anyhow, the repair install is running now. It's estimating about 15 minutes. Reinstalling Windows Updates isn't a problem on broadband, so no worries there. Here's hoping :S I'll post again in response when it finishes with the results. I've got a few other issues too, but those would be best suited with another thread as it would start to pull this one off-topic.

So is a Repair install recommended to continue using, or will it possibly cause problems like upgrades tend to do? Should I be good to go or should I reformat and reinstall anyway?

My friend... just ONE thing.

Before you go with the windows update thingy, make sure you install the Blaster patch FIRST.

as in, you could get the blaster/varient worm while you are connected unprotected to the internet donwloading updates. Happned to me yesterday with a customer's machine.

I will try and find the link for ya... was on the front page of [H] last week sometime.

-Skystalker

<looking for link now>

Windows repair is pretty handy, but its just not the same as a clean fresh format :p

Differences in the HAL, ACPI off the top of my head... Windows knows whats what when you load it, and if you change it afterwards she aint gonna work till you reload/repair/etc

Well the repair worked. I can at least load Windows and log in and such, although I'm getting a few errors here and there about System Restore (I had it disabled before the repair, this could be the problem)

Now, if only I could figure out why:

1.) My 1.8 ghz proc is only registering as 1.1
2.) What pins to put the HDD LED on....

Originally posted by Supchaka
Differences in the HAL, ACPI off the top of my head... Windows knows whats what when you load it, and if you change it afterwards she aint gonna work till you reload/repair/etc

well.. as I said before, it is kinda cool when you upgrade with VIA (and yes, I happen to like their chipsets)... you can usually not have any large issues if you go from one version of the VIA chipset to another.

-Skystalker

Fixed the LED. I'm guessing it's probably a BIOS setting for the CPU. I'll search around the forums, but if someone beats me to the answer, don't hesitate to post.

Originally posted by someoneyouknow
Well the repair worked. I can at least load Windows and log in and such, although I'm getting a few errors here and there about System Restore (I had it disabled before the repair, this could be the problem)

Sounds like your FSB jumper is wrong, just off the top of my head.

Originally posted by someoneyouknow

You might have to change a jumper or bios setting so adjust the FSB (front-side bus) of the chip.

Sounds to me like you are at 11x100 and should be at 11x133 (or somesuch).

-Skystalker

Originally posted by Skystalker
You might have to change a jumper or bios setting so adjust the FSB (front-side bus) of the chip.

Sounds to me like you are at 11x100 and should be at 11x133 (or somesuch).

-Skystalker
hehe i beat you! i beat you! ..ooo i have over 1k posts now so cool :)

Originally posted by Wixard
hehe i beat you! i beat you! ..ooo i have over 1k posts now so cool :)
Yayayayayayayayayayayayaya. :)

Great minds think alike, eh?

-Skystalker

Originally posted by Skystalker
Yayayayayayayayayayayayaya. :)

Great minds think alike, eh?

-Skystalker

Of course they do!

As for the hdd led connection that should be mentioned somewhere in the manual.

[edit]I realized only after my post that what I had typed had already been done... Boy am I ever stupid[/edit]

Actually I did that once too. If you check out on microsofts webpage, in the knowledge base they have a fix for the problem.

Here is a link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316401&Product=winxp

Basically what they tell you are you have two options. In Option one you through your XP install disk in the drive, and when it gives you the option to Install, click repair current installation. This isn't the same thing as the repair console, this option is after you are given the chance to go to the repair console. XP will reinstall all of the base driver files, and return your system to like new condition. Of course all your changed drivers will go back to default, but atleast you didn't lose your files.

Option two is to format and reinstall.

Good luck, hope that helps.

I think you've got your answer here, the bluescreen is VERY typical when upgrading mobo/processor. Some people say do a repair install, i'd suggest just going all out and do a full, fresh install. You've got new hardware, why not take advantage of it with a clean system!

A bit late for an update, but just so everyone curious knows:

The repair install worked great, although there were a few problems after the fact (such as Right-clicking my computer and choosing properties brought up an error message concerning a missing file for system restore, and the tab wouldn't show up). I've since backed up my data and reformatted anyway, just to get rid of the annoying errors and, as SB22 said, to take advantage of my new setup.

I've also fixed the CPU speed - the BIOS originally had the FSB at 100x11. I changed the FSB to 166 and it works just fine (setting it to 200 locks up, unfortunately :( )

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Back