XP blank screen of death....

DellAxim

Gawd
I recently reformatted my computer with XP pro. I JUST FINISHED installing everything I like and downloading gigabytes worth of updates. Everything was running great...and then while I was gone the screen went black. I restarted, and the computer still posts fine, but when XP should start it just stays black.

I tried safe mode. I tried the last restore point. Nothing. Then I hooked up another hard drive with windows 2000 and it boots up fine.

Is there anything I can try to do to save this so I don't have to reformat AGAIN?

Your computer was disconnected from the Internet while you reformatted, and you installed AV and other anti-malware applications before you connected to download updates, right?

DragonNOA1 said:
If you can't get in the computer then how do you do a system restore?

I meant the "last known good configuration" option in the startup menu.

Sounds like a video card driver problem. Go into safe mode and roll back the driver or use the last known configuration.

If neither lkgc or safe mode work, it sounds like you might be screwed, and perhaps your drive died. Can you hear it spin up, or any noise for that matter?

You might try clearing your cmos, I know it doesn't make a lot of dense if you got a different drive to work, but you never know.

And specs would help a little.

Back